Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 am

Re: Virtual Front Porch

Hoping you make it through without much damage.
Here, we worry about Tornado's, but they are not too common and only effect a small area, although if you happen to be in that small area it is devastating. Last one that hit this property was back in the '80's sometime and the trees still show scars from it.
Storms the size you have to deal with are a whole different order of magnitude. Good luck.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:04 pm

I live in Wisconsin and will take my chances with the tornadoes. We had one pass along our north property line about 300 ft from the house last summer. Took down 3 70 yr old Douglas firs that were roughly 60 ft tall. The farmer planted them in the early 50's. We've also had a lot of tree damage the past few years, mostly from straight line winds. But I would still pick a tornado over a hurricane or wild fire. Those are longer lasting, much larger events. To all the people in FL you are in my prayers.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:59 pm

I see on the news 2.5 million people need to evacuate Florida, or at least that's what they are reporting in the UK.

Sending thoughts and prays. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 pm

Hope every thing works out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:37 am

Everything at our house rode out the storm fairly well. A little bit of soffit material blow out on the house and my shop. (Truck is fine) Found and reinstalled the pieces to the house, but the ones from the shop apparently went on tour. 2.5 million people didn’t need evacuation, that’s someone’s miss-information. 2.5 million people in Florida were without power at one point. The monster storm was a slow mover and enormous in size. Therefore, destructive. It’s path was SW-NE and the eye passed several miles away enough that we were hit by the north-west quadrant where all of the terrible rain was. And it passed us during the night. Our rain gauge overfilled so we didn’t get an accurate total of all the rain, but at least 9” worth. Wind damage, as I said, was minor, and we received more damage when Hurricane Charley’s eye passed over us in 2004. Ian followed a similar path, but we didn’t get it’s eye over us. It had already been raining most of the day Wednesday when the power went off around 8:00pm. We lost cable/internet signal at the same time. Our Generac restored power right away, but we didn’t get cable/internet back until about 6:00 pm Friday. The Generac turned off around 4:00 on Thursday so the commercial power was off around 20 hours. All-in-all we faired well under the circumstances. The lakes on either side of us rose significantly, but not enough to get into anyones house in our area. The folks in Ft.Myers have a different story to tell and we had a cake-walk compared to them. So, when you hear the Weather Channel asking for financial help for those victims, it’s REAL.

Thanks to all who were thinking about us and all the many prayers. Bill
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:05 am

Glad you made it through without losing too much, I know others not so lucky. Not your first rodeo so your preparedness sure makes a difference. Glad the "L" is okay, it breaks my heart to see classics lost due to floods, fires, etc. Thanks for keeping us apprised of the storm and I hope all who were affected get the help they need to get back on their feet.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:25 pm

I went to a distant city for a b'day event for an ancient aunt. She was 90 and looked every bit of her 90 years. The African Ivory Coast sunshine had dried her hide to a brittle tan. She spent most of her long life on The Ivory Coast, as a care giver. She said it was her duty to minister to the body and souls of the locals.
The b'day event included some singing of her favorite hymns. The heavy lady at the piano started plunking out, Bringing in the sheaves. My aunt had a voice like a foghorn. Very suddenly and without warning, her voice ground to a halt, and she raised her right hand. The singing stopped instantly. Auntie pointed at me and asked, "Who is that frightening old man with the grey beard?" Someone said, "He is your oldest brother's first son." Her raised hand fell into her lap and the singing started up where it had stopped. It went something like this. Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the shea - - - - then silence. After auntie got her answer, the piano plunking and the droning resumed where it had stopped, with - - - - ves, we will come rejoicing etc......................
I do not have a singing voice. I was doing my best to stifle my laugh. :t1812:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:47 pm

We are blanketed with a half meter thick layer of heavy snow. Our outdoor temperature has dropped to a rare low of minus 10C. The snow is a deep as the dog.
My sone tried to leave for work before 5AM. His Jeep was blocked in by the city plow truck. The snow was pushed back as high as his fenders.
He gave up on getting his Jeep out on time, so he took my Ram Cummins 4X4. The big BFG All Terrain tires chewed though the heavy snow and took him to work on time.
An hour ago the Kid took his Mother to the store for supplies. A head of broccoli was $6.95. A turkey was $140.00 for a medium sized one. Our preordered a beef tenderloin was $150+. She had it prepared by the butcher.
The grocery store was full and the parking lot had only a few cars and they appeared to be stuck. The only other vehicles on the move were mostly AWD SUVs.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:51 am

We are cold here, not going to get above 0F today either, add in 30 mph wind and it get uncomfortable quick.
I am glad not to be trucking, however. I just read Lincoln MT , just west of the divide, and someplace I used to drive through often was -47F before the windchill! That is 'North slope of AK temps. Once your tires get below -55F they freeze and do not flex, either shatter or come off the rims.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:34 am

This year is exactly 50 years after my second Christmas serving the US Air Force in Fairbanks, Alaska. I spent from early Nov. ‘71 to late Apr. ‘73 there and experienced essentially two winters. About half of my stay in Fairbanks, I was assigned a duty station that was on Ft. Wainwright (adjacent to the city) and the second half driving the 22 mile from the city out to Eilson AFB. My duty station on Eilson was 13 miles out in the “bush” from the front gate. Two weather events that I recall are:
1. Ice fog. The second winter we went 18 days with ice fog around the clock. Ice fog was almost always present when there was no wind and the temp was below -20deg.F. I recall the morning the ice fog lifted and the sun was shining, it was as if a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders as I drove back home from working the night shift.
2. Going out to Eilson one night the temp. was -52deg. F. The rule was that if the temp was below -30, we were required to call the main gate before leaving the house to let them know we were on the road and once we checked in at the front gate, they called our duty station to let them know our progress and when to expect us at the duty station in the bush. The reverse procedure was used on the way back home. While temps that extreme are rough on vehicles, especially shocks and rubber bushings, we never had worries about tires “shattering”. It was, however, important to maintain correct air pressure. Driving on under inflated tires on hard packed snow was challenging. The only time the roads were scraped was to even out the surface and reduce the pot holes that occurred in hard packed snow.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion