Now is the time for A/C work

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Now is the time for A/C work

I need to replace the condenser on my 9670 due to a deer strike. I ordered a generic multi path condenser, same one I always use. 1st was genuine Red Dot at $250, 2nd was Santech at $170 or there abouts, this is another Santech for $112! I guess it pays to do A/C work in the dead of winter.
Anybody considering needing one, I would recommend buying now! $112 for a 31K BTU unit is cheap!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Re: Now is the time for A/C work

I just checked my receipts. You got a very good deal.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 am

If your heater core is old you might consider replacing it this coming August.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 am

Since I run a coolant filter and SCA's both cabovers still have their original cores, both heater and evaporator, which is good 'cause they are pain in the butt to get to and get out. I did have to replace the coolant control valve and still have the scars to prove it!
I don't know why the price has come down on these condensers, but they are a faction of the cost of an OEM replacement and have much higher capacity, in all its a win-win!
I forgot, the '89 has a new evaporator core, It was replaced when the dealer cracked it changing the Tx valve. It was the last time I paid anyone for A/C work. I had replaced the condenser and they insisted that the Tx be changed before they would re-charge. That was 25 years ago and I have done my own A/C work ever since.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:31 pm

But I'm still using my AC right now.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm

KSever wrote:But I'm still using my AC right now.

The way the IHC "blend-air" heater/AC works, whenever the fan is on, the A/C system is energized. whether or not the compressor is engaged is controlled by the low refrigerant safety and evaporator temp switch. It is an adjustable "frost" switch, controlled by the dash controls. It has a minimum set point of just below freezing, and a max of around 68 deg.
So truly it will come on well below when you "think" you might need it. I think that they were thinking of keeping the old face seals lubed though out the cold months and to aid in de humidifying the defrost air to keep the large windshield clear.
The safety circuit locks off the clutch once the low side reaches about 7 psi static pressure (around 0 for 134a or -5 for R12) and will not re-set until the power is cut AND the low side pressure rises to above 34 PSI. What this means in practice is that when it is really cold, the system will be locked off but in most cases the temp switch in the evaporator controls if the clutch is in or out, and since outside air passes thru the evaporator before the heater, the clutch will be off in most cases, it may turn on if the truck is not moving and there is enough heat from the heater soaking into the evaporator core, but it will cycle off in a hurry once the air flow from outside cools the core.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:33 am

Yesterday got above freezing, not much but enough for the compressor to turn on. I recharged the system, two and a half cans (12 oz cans) of 134a in liquid form direct into the receiver, the last 1/2 can in vapor form with the compressor running.
A few days earlier, I could have opened the cans, poured them into a funnel with a tap on the bottom and with a vacuum in the system drawn the whole charge in as liquid, but as it is hard to keep from drawing in air doing that, the way I did it was better. 134a is liquid at atmospheric at -14 f and our high a few days ago was below that!
Will likely need one more can when the temp gets warm enough, I realized too late my math was off, getting old sucks! 4 lbs is not 48 oz, its 64! Multiplied by .75 means I need close to 48 oz of 134a, not 36 oz. Still I have enough in there to move the oil around, if it gets warm enough I can add the last can.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 pm

What is SCA? https://sca.ca Maybe this?
Do you think, " I could have opened the cans, poured them into a funnel with a tap on the bottom and with a vacuum in the system drawn the whole charge in as liquid," might be confusing to a person not knowing AC function?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Supplemental Coolant Additive, I will not touch your link.
Well all I can say is if you don't understand why you could fill a system that way in the cold, you shouldn't be messing with refrigerant. It was how it was done with the old Monitor top fridges with methyl formate refrigerant.

Return to Non-IH discussion