WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I bought this AKRO MILLS bin rack for $30. The soft material on the wheels was loose and peeling off. The rack was doing the humpty dumpty when moved and the soft material was coming off. I took a pliers and ripped the material off the wheel centres and now the rack rolls smoothly. Tomorrow I am rebuilding a toolbox/shop cart combination. I have lots of good used parts.
Attachments
Nixon box 2.jpg
akro mills 2.jpg
AKRO MILLS
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:27 pm

I do not subscribe to "triskaidekaphobia" but sometimes I have to wonder is there is something going on. I was happily milling out some pieces for a project. When it was too late to recover from an obvious mistake I had turned hours of careful lay-out and milling into junk. Here is the spoiler, my second try and replacement part went well. The finished piece was much better than the cursed first attempt.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Hopefully, We all learn from our misadventures. I bet everyone has at least one. I am always in awe of what you turn out, and yes, I know, that you rarely show us any "misadventures".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:47 am

I blame this one on hypoglycemia. My low MMOL, 3.8, was sneaking up on me and I failed to take notice. Fortunately I noticed the la-la land feeling and did something about it.
Anyway the situation is fixed except for a little finishing and fitting. I want to treat the pieces with https://youtu.be/RNYIJPwqbdA
Here is a picture of the part I screwed up. I milled balance metal off the front rather than the back. I do not want to make a situation where the sensor responds to a second rising edge. I reduced the weight of the replacement by using thinner material.
Attachments
DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR  FIT-UP.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54 pm

The "distributor thingee is all but finished. I am working out the balance issues. the imbalance is only a few grams out but the shaking is still there. I am able to check to 3400rpm crank speed (1700 cam).
I may remake the plastic separator that goes between the upper and lower timing wheels and use stainless or lead threaded inserts for balancing.
I treated the wheels with https://youtu.be/RNYIJPwqbdA
Attachments
DISTRIBUTOR WITH CRANK SENSOR.jpg
crank sensor in the lower section
DISTRIBUTOR  WITH NEW WHEEL.jpg
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion