Robinson's Auto Wrecking

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 am

Re: Robinson's Auto Wrecking

Headed to see how much this 1936 Chevy PU goes for at auction. It sure looks above average from the photos.
I suspect $2k? We shall see.
I did some research: This 1936 "low cab" is mostly steel, unlike it's "high cab" brothers.
There are, however, wooden posts inside the A pillars. That's why the driver's door is falling off. The wood screws in the door hinge have pulled out of the wood.
Overall, it's WONDERFUL for an old, unrestored, Chevy pickup. Check out the 1939 running lights installed on the fenders for turn signals. Very well done!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Monsonmotors on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:42 am

Yes 36-37 Chebbie cabs had wood in door pillars, other than that all metal, I THINK 38 went to all metal,,,,maybe,

36 low cab was almost identical to 37-38 cabs, but 36 windshield was slightly lower in height, hard to see difference until you try to put a 37 frame in a 36 truck,

interestingly the GMC version of these cabs were all metal, no wood in pillars,

why Chebbie kept wood and GMC went metal when they were basically the same truck with different badging is a mystery only the engineers knew why,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 am

I owned a 36 Chebbie open express way back when, sold it to a guy in southern California, Kool trucks,

36chevyopenexpress2.JPG
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 pm

OK...some eye-opening...
This auction truck was NOT dead stock. It had updated turn signals, brake lights and a later steering wheel. It appears to have been repainted. Wrong wheels except spare.
I'd say it wasn't driven for twenty to thirty years. Blue CA license plates were present...they were used when I was in school. 1970s. Truck was stuck in the dirt almost to the axles. That takes awhile.
It had a dent in the cab roof and one rear fender.
The front bumper was bent and the glass was all shot.
Otherwise complete exccept for maybe one piece of trim.
Bidding started on the phone or online at $2500. It quickly went to $4k and I was out. After all, I have a tall cab '34 or '35 pickup at home..sheesh!
It sold for $5500 in a FLASH.
My suggestion to ALL of us is this: DO NOT TOUCH an otherwise unmolested old truck unless you have the time and budget to get it going and driveable.
These things can be goldmines UNTOUCHED. :t0213:

I spent some money on old GMC and White trim, antique tools, a flat belt driven grinder

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:35 pm

BRJ, some questions:
1) My experience with old GMC is that the pickup bed floors can be all steel, too?
2) Your "express" pickup you sold is cool! Is "express" an INDUSTRY designation for that BED and GVW, or? What makes it an express? Will my shortened K-7 with a K series bed and rear fenders be an express?
3) How did your express ride with those tires and wheels? Did you ever load it up? How hard was it to find brake parts?
4) Is that a GM bed on that truck? Or, who made it? Was that bed shared with other makes?
5) I think Tad Burness taught me about "express bodies" in his "Truck Spotter's Guide"? I still don't completely get what makes an "express" different from a pickup.
Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
Looks like a candidate for a tow hoist? Or not?
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion