OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

I'm going to make the tool if I can not properly paint the compressor with the clutch on. I got messed with on the upholstery, by the suppliers, the AC business is doing it now.
Hello Google and eBay.
I was told $1000 to paint five wheels. I think the wheels look fantastic, I did them here for about $25 in paint and other materials. Get even with the B¥€,$$¿, do it yourself.
It is coffee time, for me.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:30 pm

I avoided the seasonally correct monsoon today by staying in the shop and assembling more of the '40. It was intercooler cooling fan install time. Unbelievable, I knew where all of the parts were. I should try this thing "organization" again. I love ZIP-LOCK BAGS. The label said fan parts and what do you know? Cooling fan suspension grommets and the fasteners, inside. I did not like the look of the fan .125" shims, so I cut them up and made new, that took an hour.
I let my mind off leash for a bit. Now what?
I found a bunch of bits and pieces, some bought and some home made. They were bare aluminium!! I can't have that, so the next few hours was spent preparing the pieces for anodizing. There is a bag full that will be delivered to SURF-TECH INDUSTRIES in the AM after I drop my significant other at the accountant. I guess I should pick her up on the way home. 38 years of in-house-training has taught me that discretion is better than valour.
"Things" are coming together very quickly. A friend from one of the big local air-frame maintenance companies stopped in for a visit. He likes our Ford, apparently. I am guessing he does not teach Sunday School with those terms of endearment.
The AC compressor gets some shinny black paint tomorrow. I lost my offer on a large set of AC tools that I saw on Craigslist. So, the compressor get painted with the clutch system on.
I'm going for supper, we are having lasagna with home-made bread.
Attachments
MORE STUFF 2 FOR ANODIZING.jpg
ANOTHER VIEW
MORE PARTS FOR ANODIXING.jpg
MORE BITS FOR ANODIZING
INTERCOOLER FAN WIRING SECURED.jpg
THE WIRES
FIRST FITTING (FAN).jpg
IT FITS
FAN SUSPENSION.jpg
FAN SUSPENSION BITS
BMW COOLING FAN1.jpg
BMW FAN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:06 pm

I painted the alternator because this cast alternator housing will turn grey and look terrible if anodizing is attempted . Since I had the RUSTOLEUM out anyway, the AC compressor got a new black look. Tha other bits and pieces will be anodized gun-metal blue in a few days.
Tomorrow, the right side exhaust gets finished and the four wire heated O2 sensor gets installed in the exhaust.
I am still looking for three pieces of glass. MAGIHC MIKE says two things, "this is the punishment for cleaning the glass before it was put away." and the glass will be I the last place I look. Smart @ss.
Attachments
BLACK AC COMP 2.jpg
black AC comp
ALTERNATOR IN BLACK.jpg
black powermaster

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm

I took and printed a picture of the inside of the alternator, just in case I had a senior moment. I started assembling the POWER MASTER alternator and is was together before I remembered the picture. It wasn't "me" so much, but the bits and pieces really go in one way and there are not a lot of them. The best part was finally getting to use a PROTO torque screwdriver that found its way into my toolbox some time ago.
I have misplaced some of the original window glass. I need it now for templates for new cut glass. We did find three of the six total pieces needed, so back on-line. BOB DRAKE REPRODUCTIONS has paper templates for every piece of glass, except for the flip-out glass, on the body, just to the rear of the back doors. This is where some panic sets in and we renew the search and still nothing. It is not like a pattern can be made from a reproduction rubber seal that is held in the frame by the glass.
As Scottso says and I agree, GOOGLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. Google works really well if given enough information to do a search. I Googled a detailed description of what I need and in les than a second I had found the impossible. There was an email address posted, so I sent an inquiry. It was about five minutes later that my cell phone "rang". the owner of the parts was calling and we made a deal. I told him that his price was way too low and offered more, but he refused. He is including paper templates for the other two missing pieces of glass.
Luckily, he ships and has PayPal. I just got an email for the total amount and the parts will be on the truck, tomorrow.
Attached is a picture of the 1940 Ford as it was when it was found, by the seller. It is difficult to believe that there are four '40 Fords in that barn and none of them were seriously damaged.
I was a good day, for me.
Attachments
40 FORDOR BARN FIND.jpg
1940 FORDOR BARN FIND

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:45 pm

That would be a real Find! Someday, perhaps i will get that lucky in my searches. I even see value in the old wood and some of the other things I can see.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

I used two 100 yr old ventilators from the roof of an old chicken coop in Wisconsin to make one good one for the roof of my new garage. They work great, compared to my old garage it's about 20 degrees cooler in the summer. The two ventilators cost me about $35.

1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm

I was told that the old barn pieces have been sold. This old stuff gets some big money in 2015. My daughter is an "antiquer". She does very well with marketing "old stuff". I had some 100 plus year old bottles that I saw in an open garbage can 20 years ago. I was out for a walk with the dog. Some of the glass bottles went for nearly $100 and none were less the $25. She is just starting and growing her business so what she gets, she keeps.
I have dozens of 100 year old wrenches. The wrenches with names like IHC and others have extra value, as it turns out. Tractor and implement seats, I don't know where they all came from, but there are a bunch of them for her deal with. I am keeping one JOHN DEERE and one MASSEY HARRIS
I bought a large set of sockets with extensions and ratcheting drivers. The seller said the sockets did not fit anything, after I gave him the $10 he was asking. The set was a complete British Standard Whitworth (BSW) set and included a complete set of 8 point sockets for square-head fasteners. I was offered $250 for the set, BUT, I have a 5000 pound Ruston Hornsby Diesel engine that is BSW. I built a divided fuel tank for the Ruston, Diesel on the left and tools on the right. We have too many old stationary engines including a few IHC LB. One of them is going to be mounted to the Ruston so it will be the starter. I used to be able to crank start the Ruston, but not today. The flywheels are about 900# each, the crankshaft, with counter-weights, another 900+#, the 36 inch connecting rod and piston are nearly 300#. The idle is as low as 68rpm and the working speed is 325+/-.
After years of fussing over the right colour, the flywheels will be gloss black with some pinstriping and the engine will be a dark green as close as I can get to the original British machinery green. New decals are available.
Attachments
SISTERS.jpg
MORE BINDERS
Ruston HR with Ruston Radiator.jpg
RUSTON HORNSBY 640 CID
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm

I LIKE THAT SHOP!! If I were allowed to build one, it would be just like that, I am sure. What is the square feet and ceiling height? I was allowed to build 865 square feet and a 10 foot ceiling after a session before the city board of variance. I was told that our shop was the last one to be awarded an over-size variance permit. The new standard is 450sf - 600sf which is dictated by the percentage of the lot that a new house might be allowed. I need some time in the country, this city life is nothing like it used to be, and I have no one to talk to, now.
Last time my wife had a new shingles put on the shop and house, I asked for those wind driven rotating ventilators to be installed. The shop got one and the house 2 or 3?? They made a huge difference in the inside temperature and we were told this would extend the life of the roofing material.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:47 pm

That's 1350 sq.ft with 10 foot ceilings. We have no building codes or inspectors in this county where I am. I do like the ventilators that suck the air like your spinners, I put a powered ventilator on the house and you could really tell it on the electric bill in the summer.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Some progress. The AC and the DC are installed. The anodized parts should be ready this week.
Attachments
AC and DC.jpg
THE AC AND THE DC
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion