OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

Trevor, here we call it, brush hogging.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Cutting the grass in British Columbia, the land of BC Bud, may not have anything to do with mowing one's lawn. I am so out of touch that I thought 4:20 was the time of day. The smell of "that stuff" makes me feel sick, so I have never tried it.
BTW, our lawn need cutting.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Yep, took me quite a while to figure out what "420 friendly" was.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Another day on the upholstery and I have gone about as far as I can go because I need some more carpet I am still waiting for my carpet order to arrive. It is only coming from Toronto.. Maybe the supplier is looking for virgin wool for the carpet LOL Frankly, I don't care what the sheep were doing.
I made a few tools to make the job easier. The little aluminium pointed things are designed to fit into the upholstery clip holes in the doors, I use three at one time.
I secure the door panel where I want it to be and then press an indent into the ABS panel by hitting the panel against the transfer pin. Next, punch a .250" hole in the panel and install the first clip. Repeat and install the second clip. This secures the panel and not I move onto transferring the remaining upholstery clip holes from the door onto the ABS panel. These Whitney Junior punches are good for this because each punch pin has a centre point. I use a step drill to make the holes that are too far away from the edge.
If a person were to use this sort of ABS panel for their IH pickup the pebbled finish might just be good enough. The AU-VE-CO ABS clips all but blend into the panel,
The odd shaped tool is for lifting the panel clips out of the door without damaging the paint. The curved end makes smoothing the edges of the upholstery easier. It was made from salvaged Oak that was a shipping crate for a MIELE oven.
Attachments
BITS AND PIECES 2.jpg
EXTRA BITS AND PIECES
Whitney Junior and transfer pin.jpg
PUNCH AND A TRANSFER PIN
AU-VE-CO PUSH ON CLIPS.jpg
AU-VE-CO UPHOLSTERY PINS
TRIM AND UPHOLSTERY TOOL MILLING A SLOT.jpg
milling the upholstery tool
HOME MADE UPHOLSTERY TOOL.jpg
homemade upholstery tool

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 pm

More BMW inside grab handles. Three for $10. Two came with the hook for hanging whatever.
Attachments
MORE HANDLES.jpg
Hang on, here

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:35 pm

It was a really good day to be inside and out of the monsoon. Except for a quick and wet dash to the garage, to check for fit and or pick up a tool, I avoided the heavy rain. My sewing area is in the second basement of the house where I am surrounded by enough parts to build another IH pickup and have a few spares.
At one time, a few years ago, my son and I assembled an L110 in this basement area. It was a trick we played on my wife after I asked if I might store some pickup parts in this area. She went to Atlanta on business and when she came home she had to pass the "L" on her way to the wine cellar. Her biggest concern was, "Where is my treadmill?" I did ask if I might use it, she agreed and I turned the DC motor into the variable speed drive and the screw-motor into the raising and lowering drive for the chuck. The original electronic controls, for the treadmill, continue to control the speed and angle of the positioner chuck. The RPM range is from .2 to 15.
I almost forgot the Ford door upholstery first fitting. The '34 Ford "V8" will go on the door between the power window switch and the lower convenience light. This style is bolt-on.
UNDER THE, WELL, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT TO HAPPEN, heading, I just got off the phone with the carpet supplier when the Dog started to bark at the Canada Poste person. Good thing I called! lol
Attachments
1934 Ford emblem for the door.jpg
1934 FORD EMBLEM FOR THE UPHOLSTERY
first fit-up 2.jpg
OH YAH, THE LF DOOR FIRST FITTING
WELD POSITIONER CHUCK.jpg
THE CHUCK
WELD POSITIONER WORKS.jpg
WHATS INSIDE
polarity reversing.jpg
REVERSE
welding positioner.jpg
SPEED AND POSITION CONTROL

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

So, I call the industrial plastic store to inquire about the possibility of some ABS epoxy being in stock and for sale. I had a part number for a toothpaste tube size container of the "glue". The helpful guy, who answered the 'phone, suggested that I buy the litre (1000ml) container at $16.38 rather that the 88ml container which was $26.55. Now, that is service. There was not an explanation for this price situation.
My son finally had a day off after several months of 7 daze a week with lots of overtime. Our plan was to measure and build the panels that would separate the trunk from the interior of the car. The place where FORD left for the "bulkhead" was not flat. I suppose the original pressed paper POS could have been forced to comply with the differences between the upper and lower sections, BUT, ABS plastic sheeting is much less cooperative. So, we made the panel in two pieces and stepped the top section out two inches. We used a length of aluminium 1" by 2" angle, pop-riveted to the lower section. The top section will be fastened to the aluminium cross bar with machine screws. The upper right panel will get a doubler, for strength, to hold the rear electric control panel. This last task is for tomorrow.
The lower panel will have matching square weave black carpet. It is very likely the upper panel will have leather covering made from the random bits and pieces left over.
The BlackBerry battery was low so the flash stopped working, we used an LED shop-light for the pictures.
Attachments
looking back at the bulkhead.jpg
FROM THE INSIDE
looking left to the bukhead.jpg
FROM INSIDE, LEFT SIDE
right side fit-up.jpg
RIGHT SIDE FIT
left side fit-up 2.jpg
LEFT SIDE IN THE TRUNK
trunk bulkhead first fitting.jpg
FIRST TEST FITTING

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Very interesting reading, and photos. It is almost enough to inspire me to go out and do a little work on the 39. But at +5F in an un heated shed with a blizzard blowing I might just wait a while.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

We are looking forward to getting this project done and out of the way so we can return to the L110. I am sure that the "L" will not be as complicated or as expensive as the Ford has become. Each of these projects, whatever the make have much in common. One of the lessons that I continue to learn is, "I can do it". I have some fear of the unknown, at the beginning, but being pushed forward by a few ruthless daring friends and a nothing is too difficult, for you, wife has kept me in the game. She throws me into the fire and shouts encouragement from the top of the stairs.
What would you do if you were quoted $35,000 to finish the upholstery in the Ford, or $12,000 to upholster an "L" standard cab? Rather than walk away, I would hope that more persons would start looking at their options rather than give the "go-a-head". I just don't let anyone see my screw-ups.
I was born in Medicine Hat and grew up on the Prairies, so I understand your cold weather. While the West Wet Coast can get miserable, it never get to be Saskatchewan Cold. I can hear Harley Davidsons out there, today.
I appreciate your commenting on our project. This sort of pat-on-the-back is what keeps me going, better. Well, I should admit that criticism has a similar effect. My Dad used to say, " Most criticisms are complements that fell short and became a kick in the pants".
I am practicing for the next "real IHC truck" project.
My Dad was a farmer and I have some small appreciation for the hard work you guy do when the weather is cooperating. You probably need a well earned rest. Retirement will come soon enough then let the inspiration take you on another journey.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I was all but out of those soapy tasting British Victory "V Lozenges, so a trip to Chilliwack and DICKENS, BRITISH STORE was first on the agenda, right after b'fast, today. While I tried to resist I left the store with $117 of goodies. I absolutely could not leave without a jar of Mango Chutney and some British Dark Chocolate ginger cookies. What a great way to take up the majority of a sunny day.
On the way home, I stopped at The Old Car Centre and picked up the only 1934 Ford V8 badges they had in stock. A dozen more are on the way and I was about an hour ahead of the shipment. I had to do the mock-up as soon as I got home. I like the look.
The trunk trim is matching carpet on the lower 12 inches and leather upper over a 0.250" foam.
Attachments
left side trunk panel.jpg
Left side trunk panel
lower trunk bulkhead.jpg
Lower bulkhead trunk
'34 V8 trim LF door.jpg
RF door
1934 V8 trim.jpg
1934 V8 trim
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion