penetrating fluid

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 am

penetrating fluid

I recently read an article on freeing up rusted bolts. the whereabouts of the article escapes me but I thought I'd share the findings. it seems a 50/50 mix of power steering fluid and acetone from what I could extract it cut the ft lbs of torque needed by 1/2 to 1/5th to remove rusted bolts. They had some scientific mumbo jumbo to back it up. I only care if it works. Hope this helps somebody. My Son laughs his butt off when I pull really hard on a wrench and strain muscles in my neck.You know when you make a face thinking it will help!!! Must be His Mothers side coming through :D Sandusky

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: penetrating fluid

Same holds true with ATF and Acetone.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Whoops, Gave wrong ingredient should be ATF. My Apology , Didn't have enough Starter Fluid This A.M. (Coffee) Thanks for correcting me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Of course for years power steering fluid was ATF. I doubt the new stuff is too different from ATF.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 pm

There are several products that I have used and found that each one has some merit. My favorite cold penetrating fluid is a product called RUSTY. It is very similiar to a penetratinf fluid sold under the WALTER name, fanous for grinder products. Another product that I really like is called MOOVET. It is best used when the victim is hot. MOOVET is also really good when used on the lathe and milling machine and Destron III is another good cutting tool oil. Another cutting lube that I buy is JOKISCH. It is made close to here, in Delta, and comes in a heay paste. This stuff makes tread cutting easy with a fine finish.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 am

PB Blaster isn't too bad- helped me get my drums off the hubs.

Pulling faces does too help! :x There are some magic words I can teach you, too, but it would have to be by PM, since this is a family forum :roll:

Actually, Mythbusters found that cuss words helped with pain by about 25%. So cussing and pulling faces probably does help with rusty bolts! :lol:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I lost two friends in 2012. Both were pulling faces whilst trying to shake something loose. While losing a friend is seldom funny, I can see some humour it this happening twice and then put those two into the mix, well, they would really laugh. I was curious and Googled the event and much to my surprise, this is not an uncommon happening. The catastrophic end is called an aneurism. I don't know if the same factors that come into play when one is loosening their frozen nuts is present when, uh,well, you know. I can imagine what their last words were, and it probably wasn't OH DARN!!
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:06 pm

When straining to loosen a tight bolt, my Dad would always say "your not holding your mouth just right!" When I adjusted the clench of my teeth he was usually right and that bolt would break free. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm

my father used to say the same thing. my older brother and I would be straining to loosen a bolt or nut and call on dad for some help. he would just crawl under the car and loosen it up right off. my brother and I would ask how was able to do that so fast, and his reply was always "you weren't holding your mouth right." So yes the set of the jaw is a lot to it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 pm

After tearing my old muscle tissue from bone,I'll turn the wrench over to my Son,he'll bear down on it and break it free,to which I reply"I loosened it for you!!!"

Return to Non-IH discussion