Roadranger input shaft deisgn change

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:36 am

Roadranger input shaft deisgn change

I am replacing an input shaft on a RTO15613 and the replacement has less "meat" in the spline that goes into the input gear. This means a lot more slop between the shaft an gear. I thought it was a poorly machined aftermarket shaft, but the place I called to get an OEM shaft said that the Eaton shaft is looser also and it was a "design change". I can find no mention of this on the web anywhere.
Has anyone run into this? I am going to install the OEM shaft and keep the aftermarket as a clutch line-up tool, but I can think of no reason you would want a sloppy fit in that location, and plenty of reasons not too.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am

Re: Roadranger input shaft deisgn change

reason: to sell more parts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

Kinda doubt it. For one, you would have to have the trans out and on the ground to check, and most shops I've worked in require a "clutch kit" be installed when a clutch is changed to get any warnentte on the job.
A Clutch kit contains a new shaft, bearings, bearing retainer, release fork, cross shaft bushings and gaskets.
I guess what I'm saying is the shaft gets replaced anyway, so not sure why you would want a looser fit, it would seam like it would hammer it gear more, with more clearance.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Kinda my point, We are of a generation and Mind set of make it right, make it last. New stuff, if sloppy, Will, as you state, perhaps cause more "wear" necessitating a shorter time between "repairs".
Just my thoughts and I could be way out on a limb, but, I see it in most all consumer goods from even 25 years ago to now.

Return to Large Trucks