master cylinder finnished

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:36 pm

master cylinder finnished

I final got the new master cylinder on the L-185 truck figured out the air over hydraulic and got that system working again. I guess the question is how do you clean out the brake lines? Can you clean out the brake lines? Do you need to clean out the break lines? Is flushing them with break fluid good enough?
I will probably just replace the wheel cylinders, and have the shoes re lined. Having the brakes done first will be a lot better than getting it running and then not be able to drive it because the brake are not done.
Help! I'm stuck in the garage and I can't seem to pull myself out.

Nothing better than a nap on the creeper under the old truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: master cylinder finnished

You need to replace all of the hydraulic brake lines, no option. The lines are likely original and it is very likely DOT4 or some earlier brake fluid was used. This fluid is hygroscopic. The build-up of moisture in the fluid will corrode the brake lines from the inside out. Of course you can ignore the brake lines. Maintenance of your vehicle is required by your insurer. Failure to comply will leave you without insurance when you need it the most, if it can be demonstrated that maintenance was not done.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:31 pm

So you sold me on replacing the lines. Do I want to replace what is there, with like tube and fittings? Or should I go with the newer style fittings and such? Wow that sounds like a really dumb question. I think I will go with the newer style stuff.
Help! I'm stuck in the garage and I can't seem to pull myself out.

Nothing better than a nap on the creeper under the old truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Use new product. The steel line is available at NAPA and others. The ends of the steel tube must have a double flare. Check YouTube for videos. https://youtu.be/LPlHuF4PmNY This is a nice one, and easier to use than the one I have. Eric the Car Guy was just demonstrating the tool. He should have shown and mentioned placing the fitting onto the tube before starting the flaring action. If you fare first, the fitting will not go on. Start over.
The steel tubing is mostly unchanged for about 8 decades. Double flare tools are available at NAPA and maybe HF. If you do not mind parting with some extra cash, this is the one I bought 20 years ago. It works perfectly every time.
http://www.mastercool.com/product/71475/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Planning on using this product for my brake lines when I get that far. Should be in the next couple months.

http://store.fedhillusa.com/
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Return to Large Trucks