My '89 9670 build

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: My '89 9670 build

I'm glad you got it back on the road! Thanks for allowing us to follow along.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:34 pm

It wasn't a smooth come back. After running it around the area bobtail and with an empty trailer for400 miles, the fuel pump locked up with in a mile of putting the 1st load on it. That cost me more than twice what I paid for the engine!
Still shaking the bugs out of it. Any new (used) truck I buy takes me 3-4 years to bring it up to snuff, and work out all the problems the last owner ignored.
This one wasn't new to me, but working it hard as a heavy hauler than letting it sit for more than 10 year have taken their toll.
I still need to replace the cab jack, add an Espar heater and hooking up a fuel heater, before the cold weather sets in.
It looks like the other guys insurance is going to fix my little cabover, once it is back in good shape, I will likely sell it to pay for the work needed on the Marmon. I'll be sad to see it go, but I don't really need 3 running trucks1 It is the least comfortable of my trucks, having the smallest sleeper and 4 spring suspension.
It would make a good truck for a farmer, simple and reliable and lightweight.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:02 am

Air bags! or how they have changed, I can't say progressed! The original air bag on the corporate IHC air ride was made by Firestone. It had an aluminum base (piston) and a replaceable bag and top plate assembly. I haven't seen the replacements ever, but have the part number for it. The next generation have a steel base and non-replaceable bag, the latest have fiberglass or plastic piston and are non replaceable also.
I have two of the original 1984 vintage bags, one was damaged when a shock came apart and cut the outer layer of fabric and rubber but still held air and worked, I just felt it wasn't worth a failure on the road, so replaced. The two on the back were replaced when the frame was stretched and the people doing the work cut them off!
It still have one original bag that is now over 30 years old! all the new ones fail in a few years, either from rust (steel piston) or from air leaks (fiber piston) when the rust between the mounting studs and base cause cracks in the fiber.
Price hasn't come down either. They are more expensive today then they were in 1984. They used to be quality made in North America and now come from Central-South America or over seas, and last only a few years.
Next rant:
It started leaking coolant from one of the side plates on an 885 Cummins that cover the coolant passage in the block. Put a wrench on one of the bolts and the head snapped off. 2 days of hard work to repair some idiots install of the plate. The plate has a nice thick die cut gasket and a smooth machined surface on both the block and plate, in other words a no brainer seal. But the last idiot was so un sure of his skills slathered both side of the gasket with RTV, which of course found its way into the blind bolt holes in the block. When the 1/4" bolts were installed, there was no place for the excess RTV to go except up the bolt threads, preventing proper clamping force and once set up locking the bolt tighter than locktite!
No combination of easy-outs, left handed drill bits or anything else would release the bolt stubs, which required drilling and re tapping of the threads, and in a location that wasn't the easiest to get to and drill square on center. Can't fix stupid!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Speedo was acting up, would loose 10 MPH or more power on to power off. Checked for looseness in the output yoke, I couldn't get any movement and there was no evidence of oil either on the splines or seal. Re setting the pick-up had little effect. I tried a used speedo head, to no avail so it had to be in the trans. I have a shed, but recent snow and wind make it impossible to get a truck in or out.
Today, In the cold, I dropped the driveshaft and put a torque multiplier on a 2 3/4" socket. Although the yoke didn't have play, I was able to tighten the nut a bit. Running up the trans in high gear showed the correct speed. The "gear" or reluctor ring n the trans must have been slipping on the shaft.
Next I needed to swap out some tires. Got two (one side) swapped out I have two more to get tomorrow if my body will let me. Then dis mount the 4 I took off and send them in for re-capping.
Only way I'll get to sleep tonight is bottle of German Beer. even so it will be a rough night. My body is just not up to doing what I used to do all day long.
Is it any wonder I am putting these two trucks up of sale? Keeping 3 trucks maintained and operational takes more than my body can do. The two cabovers are in better shape than any time since I owned them, time to pass them on to others, and concentrate on the Marmon, just one truck to keep up and with what I get for the two cabovers I can pay a shop to do what I can no longer do.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Got the tires swapped out and dis-mounted, Have the aches to prove it. Today the tire shop came down and picked up the 4 casings to retreaded, 3 rims to be blasted and painted, 3 scrap passenger tires and one scrap truck tire. Good thing they brought a big box truck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:58 pm

A/C compressor clutch pack it in this week. Finding a replacement has turned into a pain. AG equipment use the same clutch, cars since the late 60's use a smaller belt. Found a place near me that claim "new" clutch, but their pic's show a sticker that states Reman'd by XX! Found a dealer (Superior Tractor Parts) but they seam to be a scam, ordered a week ago and no clutch, phone goes to a "full voicemail" box and they don't reply to e mail!
Found some on Epay and should have one tomorrow.
Need to replace the trailing arm bushing on the rear axle. I did the fronts several years ago 12? with urethane bushings from ATRO Bushing. As I remember it was a pain. I got 4 bushings and they have improved them, they are much easier to install as they now have a lead in radius on the bushing.
I have been in the market for a good shop press for ages, I will not spend the money on a cheap one, so have lived without for years. A bottle jack and the 12K front end weight of the cabover make a suitable shop press and the 4 bushings were installed in short order. I have spare (forged) arms from my spare parts supply, so I could install the bushings without downing the truck. I think I'll pay a shop to fit the new arms, then off to the alignment shop for a 3 axle alignment. I'm getting some uneven wear that indicated the drive axles are not in alignment.
I installed 2 new Hankook steer tires and much to my consternation they are now made in china! :t0116: I have very good service out of their tire that come from South Korea, I avoid China tires. Time will tell if I will stick with them if they are going to come from China, if they last as good as the Korean tires, then ok, if not I'll be searching for another mfg.
Good news on the little cabover, It is getting worked on at the body shop and hopefully will be home soon. I need to work on some oil leaks, and repair the pyrometer, then put a for sale sign in it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 pm

I hope you do not think you are talking to yourself. I hang on your every word. Good job.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 pm

I am with Nikki on this: I hope you do not think you are talking to yourself. I hang on your every word. Good job.
It fascinates me what all you guys accomplish.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Since without pictures it never happened:
Early suspensions used forged torque arms, later one use arms fab'd from tubing. I haven't yet tried to rebush the fab'd arms.
Attachments
torque arm 4.jpg
Newer style "fabricated type" torque arm.
torque arm 3.jpg
older style replacement bushing without radius, hard to install
torque arm 2.jpg
showing radius ends of bushing
torque arm 1.jpg
early style forged torque arm with new bushhings

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:57 pm

On to the compressor clutch! New (rebuilt) from Epay arrived today, never did get anything from Superior tractor.
Attachments
compressor clutch 4.jpg
Not much left of the bearing, but remained turning until I got home.
compressor clutch 2.jpg
burned the epoxy and pressure plate out
compressor clutch 1.jpg
when I take out a clutch, I take it out!
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks