My '89 9670 build

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Re: My '89 9670 build

Took the truck into the shop for a 3 axle alignment. I let them install the re-bushed track arms, to align the rears, they need to shim the track rod, so it only make sense for them to install as well.
I got a complement when they were done, They said I could teach them on the install of spoke wheels, My run-out was well below what they achieve. Really all it takes is following the correct procedure and putting the time in. Too many think you can "torque them straight" by (over) tightening the nuts. You must get the inner wheel on straight to begin with.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 6:11 pm

I have said a few times, "CB89, you need to be a teacher." The teaching job will give your back a chance to heal while you carries the BS and politics of teaching in your head.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 pm

My problem is that the stuff I know about is 30 or more years out of date and have little application on todays vehicles. The tire shop I went to for alignment know me as the "guy still running !0.00X R20's". They will still re-cap them but will no longer mount them as of the 1st of this year. They are a large tire dealer that has shops all over the mid west. It was a corp decision, their reasoning being any tube type rim must be over 25 years old. I don't agree with it, but there it is.
As I said, I am phasing them out as finding tubes on the road is getting hard. I have 3 casing left that can take at least one cap, if not 2, so I'll have them for a while. Of Course my 40's K's have tube types and I will still run them on the K's, they are never far from home.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 03, 2019 7:43 pm

It's a shame when you are finally forced out of the "antique" you have so lovingly and painfully cared for, against your own desires. That is terrible sentence structure, but, I digress. I have found myself in the same situation with my 1989 Chevy Silverado: worked hard to maintain the engine and drivetrain, even kept the body rust at bay (compared to the mean), but now, with a rust-induced-cracked frame, further repairs are not cost effective.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm

No, I haven't been forced out of anything, just the tire place will not mount tube type tires, but I always mount my own tires, so no problem. What is making shift from tube type to tubeless is the availability on the road. Either way the tires go on the same truck.
Many trucking companies do have age limits, but the one I drive for doesn't. I had a frank discussion with my insurance co when I ran my own trucking co. I made it clear if they wanted my business, what truck I use was not negotiable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Today I replaced the front crankshaft seal, with the special tooling I purchased. The way it works, you bolt a plate in in place of the balancer, the screw in three "tec screws" thru the plate and into the seal. Then a puller bolt pulls the seal.
I was more than a little apprehensive, if the tec screws pulled out of the seal, I could be in much worse shape than if I left it alone. Once the old seal was out, the new one had to be pressed back in. It is a Teflon lay down lip type seal, and needs an install sleeve to get it over the nose of the crank, before the special tool can press it into place with the damper bolt. Really it need some longer bolts so I don't have to get the seal as far in before using the driver. All back together and doesn't seam to be leaking, I'll know for sure next week.
Even that little amount of work has left my shoulders hurting. The Damper is somewhere around 70lbs and has to be lifted and mated to the front of the crank, and there is no direct access, but it is done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Not an IH, but I thought you, CB89, might enjoy a few miles of this old school trucking.
https://youtu.be/q2btXzx_2Gg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm mentoring a younger driver who does heavy haul in Colorado. He learned on twin sticks, he currently owns a '86 Kenworth with twin sticks and a 444 Cummins that he does heavy haul with. He really likes the ratio versatility of twin sticks. I don't have a lot of time in on them, and with all that you have to watch with wide and tall, I'm not sure I'd like the added stress of rowing a set of sticks. I tried to talk him into a set of two speed rears and a Roadranger or Spicer SST trans, but he chose the sticks. More power to him, he is a good driver and what is more surprising, he is that good that young.
Only my Dart has a set of sticks, and the way things are going, I'll never see it drivable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 pm

The first You Tube link shows a young guy with some real skill. This next link makes me feel a little uneasy. This guy is a real gear butcher.
https://youtu.be/7SKmn-_Hvf0

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

On my way home last week a pick-up pulling an RV trailer pulled out of a mud road right as I went by, he kicked up a big stone that put a 1/2 dollar sized divot in my windshield.
When ever a car get a crack from a stone, they want the nearest truck to pay for it! Try telling that same yawho that they just cracked my windshield and I want them to pay for and see where you get!.
As big as the windshields are I was surprised that two of the only cost $151 and some change. Installing them myself, with my bad shoulders almost did me in. I had Karen on the inside and me on the outside and it was still a bear.
I decided that I'll wait on putting the other windshield in the '83, it had cracked in the accident. It can wait, even though it will be the easier of the two. The '89 has an external visor that gets in the way of the install, you have to work around it.
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks