My '89 9670 build

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: My '89 9670 build

Not too good with a vid camera, but I'll try and get some pic's. Lots of little stuff to pick away at to keep me busy well into the winter.
Unlike battery and electric motor, the air start didn't suffer one bit sitting, reliable as ever.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Friday, I picked up some new (used) hubs. I needed two to finish converting to spokes. Bought three as lately I am finding that stuff that used to be plentiful is becoming hard to find.
Today I rebuilt the throttle linkage, new bellcrank, new breakover lever on the PT pump. Adjusted the clutch linkage. It was frozen, and took some doing to get it free. When the clutch was rebuilt, the rebuilder sets the throw-out bearing to the correct position, so when it didn't result in the correct freeplay, the linkage needed to be longer. Also you can tell by looking at the arm, it was a little past the 90 deg point, so it was in the correct position.
On the Cummins PT pump, the idle is set by the governor, not the set screws on the pump. It was set to idle at 900 RPM, and the screws were all the way out. The screws set the max and min throttle opening, and should be set on a test stand. Without enough fuel passing in the min setting, the injectors can gall from lack of lube when descending a hill. I re-set the governor to 625-650 RPM, and kept screwing in the minimum fuel setting until when the throttle is snapped closed, it doesn't drop below 450rpm before recovering. I hope it is close to correct.
Everything takes 5-10 times longer than I think it should. Idles good and starts and runs well. I would love to take it out on the road and give it 5-10 mile run to see how it runs then. No plates or insurance, so thats not about to happen.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Today I finished the air cleaner bracket. It is made of 1/4 bar stock and 1" bushing stock. Some may think it is over built, but in my experience you only need to overbuild something once, you can under build it 100's of times.
I replaced the non-working temp sender, and high temp warning switch. I was a little ticked, as the switch was new.
I had a Wabco air drier on this truck, and I am a Bendix AD-4 kind of guy, so changed out the air drier and found that the air governor wasn't working properly, so swapped in another. I have enough parts to make one more AD-4 out of parts. They aren't the easiest to service, but the fact that they are still working 30-40 years after they were 1st built, says a lot.
Ran the engine long enough to get the thermostat to open, Never could get it hot enough for the fan to kick on. I'll have to wait until I can load the engine to build heat.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 am

Sounds like you are getting close to "working" this vehicle?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 am

I am like Nikki on this build, I am not going to rush it as once it is in service, it is hard to "down it" to fix things. Better to do them now then later. I trying to get the big, heavy work done while I can still work outside, then bring it in for the smaller (?) stuff like replacing the passenger door and fitting an Espar. The Passenger door never worked right in all the time I owned it. A careful examination proved it was bowed from a previous accident and will never seal correctly. I have another door that will be re-finished in fitted.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

He is the air cleaner, not much real estate to work with under the cab
Attachments
cleaner 3.jpg
Cleaner1.jpg
cleaner 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 pm

My Dad used to say, "tighter than a frog's a$$ in fly season. The difference between your project and mine is the size of the components.
One of my motivators is having someone say, "You cant get that in there!"
I am so looking forward to getting away from this Ford and getting back to Old IHC pickups with Cummins Power and DANA axles.
The 4bta is an easy fit. The 24 valve ISB 5.9 might take more planning. I know a 24 valve 5.9 will fit, but it squeaks on the way in.
Yah, Yah, Lloyd, is sounds like something else, but it is all Cummins talk.
Can you believe this all started with a few hit-and-miss-engines and a big Ruston Hornsby Diesel?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 pm

I needed to change a brake chamber on the rear axle, the non-pressure side had rusted out and someone, at sometime in the past had lost the clevis pin and used a grade 8 bolt. The bolt is fully functional, and stronger then the mild steel pin, but still would be a problem on an inspection. The rear cover (pressure side) was cast aluminum, and not the more common stamped steel.
When I have time, I don't have money, and visa versa, so went looking at my junk axles for a good rear chamber. The 1st one I chose look like it couldn't have been more than a few years old. Only after I got it off did I notice it was a 24 sq-in chamber not a 30! Oh well, I salvaged the clevis from it. The next one, I measured!
When I pulled the cast aluminum rear cover, the diaphragm, while not leaking, didn't look its best, so I peeled it out to replace it, I noticed the rubber was embossed with the "man on a tractor" logo, and I looked more closely for the '83 date code, yep, it was the original chamber from when the axle was built! 35 years out of a chamber and diaphragm is doing good. I kept the rear cast cover, thru in another diaphragm and bolted it on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: The difference between your project and mine is the size of the components.
?

An the cost of the parts goes up. Sitting on the top of the engine, I have $100 in rubber elbows and reducers, and will need another $125 in connectors, aluminum tube and clamps, just to duct the cold air from over the radiator to the air cleaner.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Turns out there isn't enough room for the pipe to go over the turbo cross over pipe to the aftercooler, my choices are to deform a 6" aluminum tube to an oval shape or to extend the piping out and around the crossover (on the left side of the engine. I am going to try the latter first, and if I run into problems can always resort to the deformed tube method.
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks