Back from the paint shop

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Back from the paint shop

Terry and Scottso, Thanks for the input on the visor. I keep bouncing back and forth looking at the pictures trying to make a decision. I wasn't completely sold on the visor for the other truck but it really made it stand out. The more I look at the picture of the truck with the visor the more I like it. Decisions, decisions.

Scottso, No I don't have a trailer for it. I've seen several but they are really expensive and they are on the other side of the world. They are about like the trucks you see on Ebay. They are in either Oregon of Washington State.

Thanks, Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

I like the sun visor on the truck. It would grow on you once added. Sunvisors were not all that common back then as companies were not overly concerned about driver comforts until 30 years ago when it became apparent that creature comforts were required on trucks to attract qualified drivers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 pm

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a visor unless you're restoring a truck as owned by a line that didn't use them. Consolidated Freight comes to mind. Unless it's one that covers half the windshield and the driver has to sit on the floor to see under it. :roll:

Dan Cornett wrote:They are about like the trucks you see on Ebay. They are in either Oregon of Washington State.

That's funny. It seems any time something catches my eye it turns out to be east of the Mississippi.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:57 pm

12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Scottso, Thanks for the inspiration. I hope to see both of those trucks in person some day. Did you notice the difference in the two trucks outside the fact that one's a single axle and the other is a tandem axle? Compare the grill on the trucks. One is about six inches taller. The truck with the visor is a lower in height version made around 55 or 56. In order to lower the height of the cab, IH had to tilt the engine about 30 degrees. Mr. Pence's red truck is a 53, I think, and the motor sits straight up in it. Again, thanks for the pictures. Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:09 pm

I had to sew-saw back and forth between the two photos a number of times, but I did see that the model with the sun visor (single axle) is missing a panel beneath the headlights that the dual axle model has making the radiator look different in height. As best I could, I counted the temperature control slats in the radiator opening and there seems to be the same number. (Of course if they are dimensionally different, then....)
Additionally, the single's bumper is shorter in height than the dual's. That makes some optical illusions relative to the height of the two trucks. And who knows if the tires are the same diameter or not? There's probably more differences, but without a tape measure laying up against them, it's visually difficult to see many. You guys who have extensive experience with them obviously can spot the differences right away.
(On the front of the red, dual axle truck says, "Class of '54". I'd be willing to speculate it's a '54)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:19 pm

You are correct, Mr. Pentz's truck is a 54. I was going from memory when I said it's a 53 and I guess my CRS syndrome is getting worse. Notice the top of the grill where it curves, on Mr. Pentz's truck, there is about a 6 inch panel that goes across the top just under the access door. The truck with the visor doesn't have that panel. The opening's for the radiator shutters are the same size on both trucks. The grill on the red truck is taller to reach the sheet metal on the nose. Thus, the need for the panel on the bottom of the fenders necessary to get the fender height up to the bottom of the cab and not have a gap between the fender and the bumper. I'm not very good at explaining the differences.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Well, well, I am glad that I took the time to Google CRS Syndrome. My first thought was, you were pregnant and the fetus was in trouble. Urban Dictionary to the rescue and just in time. They suggest something about Can't Remember Shxx. One can never be too careful. Heaven forbid that anyone's feelings get stepped on.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Ha!! I may look pregnant but I'm not. At least I don't think I am. Maybe the CRS is worse than I thought. I may need to go for a check up.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Slowly but surely coming back together. I had to replace a lot of metal in the fenders. Now to sandblast an put new support bracing in the fenders. Still trying to locate a few parts for the cab. I may have to fabricate them.
Attachments
fr55.JPG
fr61.JPG
fr63.JPG
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks