Tilting Hood

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Tilting Hood

An IHC truck like this was in traffic, behind me, today. Every time the traffic slowed the tilt hood would open, hit the end of its travel then bounce shut, with a bang. The driver apparently thought it was funny and was laughing like a fool. --
Attachments
tilt hood.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Tilting Hood

Where is an Officer when you need one! If latches are broken, even bungee cords will work. Seems to me, Idiot behind the wheel could run into someone.

Just my Thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:53 am

Like the fool he was, you mean!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Good way to crack the hood,it happens easier than you'd think. Was there a name/ph # on the door? I woulda called and reported him,there's NO justification for what he did.
I've always treated trucks I've driven as my own, afterall they're how I made a living. I knew a few guys being fired for abusing a truck.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:40 pm

There is no cure for being a fool, so I am confident that the driver was a fool and will continue to be a fool. I think it would be reasonable to assume the driver was not the owner.
Our Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspection patrol set up random vehicle inspections around the Lower Mainland and around the province. It was reported, on the 6pm news, that 80% of the trucks they inspected, that day, had failed. A failure can be for a log book being out of date, driver's side window not functioning, to accessory lights not working. Over 20 trucks out of more than 50 were seized and towed to a repair shop.
About a decade ago, a tractor trailer unit had brake failure and on a very steep section of Highway 1, in North Vancouver, called "The Cut". The truck hit the side of an overpass that was built into the rock mountain face. the driver was killed and debris continued on for hundreds of meters. The investigation showed that this driver had been responsible for two previous truck run-aways. One was in a city with a very steep highway entering from the south. If I recall, several persons, in a car were killed when the load of hot asphalt trapped the occupants. A few years later, same driver, lost the brakes and pushed a mini van into the ocean at a ferry loading ramp. The persons in the van died from drowning.
Not that long ago, I was following a hot asphalt loaded dump truck and transfer trailer north on Boundary Road. I was on my motorcycle at the time. The trailer had one or its MAXI spring brakes hanging on it's clevis and not bolted to the axle. The trailer had an inside dual flat tire that was making a loud thumping and the trailer safety chains were not hooked to the truck. This truck could potentially be hauling upwards of 200,000 pounds. I would not be surprised if this sort of thing was very common in many areas.
Scottso: There are heavy fines and three points on my driver's licence for touching my cell phone while driving. Stopping in our traffic adds another hazard situation. I was alone, or we could have done something. I was about to turn off and let the truck pass, but the fool turned into a warehouse district, with his hood open.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:01 pm

A friend of mine worked as a mechanic repairing a fleet of refuse trucks. After a year or so working there, the company received a letter of commendation from the Kansas Highway Patrol. Their trucks had had zero DOT infractions in roadside stops for a four month period. This was a significant change from previous company history, and he took pride in the accomplishment. Eventually, he tired of working 70 hours a week at night. I'm sure they went back to their old ways after he left.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm posting this from my BlackBerry because we just lost our house power. A loaded gravel truck took out the Hydro Pole at the bottom of the lane. That was 90 seconds ago.
What a coincidence.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:An IHC truck like this was in traffic, behind me, today. Every time the traffic slowed the tilt hood would open, hit the end of its travel then bounce shut, with a bang. The driver apparently thought it was funny and was laughing like a fool. --

Calling him a driver is being generous. He's a steering wheel holder. One of those idiots who probably decided to be a truck driver because all you have to do is sit there and shift your truck into gear and your brain into neutral. Probably got his license at a CDL mill, er, driving school.

This is the same sort of thing being discussed here http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/62430/H ... ve-to-vent
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm having a late drive through b'fast at Tim’s. An IH tractor, with a container in tow, just stopped on Marine Crossing . The driver made a hasty exit and I didn't hear the air blast from the Maxi brakes. The driver was running past my truck and I yelled at him, "Your truck is rolling away! " In full panic, the driver turned and chased his tractor as it slowly backward rolled toward Save On Foods.
I'm not home yet, so...............

Return to Large Trucks