RD Engine Block Heater

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:32 pm

RD Engine Block Heater

Does anyone have any information on using an electric engine block heater that goes into a core plug hole after the core plug is removed? These seem the simplest type to install, but I'm not sure what size the core plugs are and how deep the heater element can go into the block. I had one of these on a 1969 Fleetstar with a 250 Cummins and it worked great.

Redk5guy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: RD Engine Block Heater

Checked my zerostart cat and they don't have any of the RD engines listed, too old most likely. You might have to use a circulation heater.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 am

Here is a recirulating style on e-bay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-heater-for-cold-climates-any-car-truck-or-tractor-FREE-SHIPPING-/231113182335?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cf6b4c7f

Picture from listing:

I would think it should work as well as a core plug heater and be a bit easier to install as well.

Tad

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 pm

My K2 had one of these inline heaters. Easy to install and no moving parts. If you knew the diameter of your frost plug I am sure you could buy a block heater over the counter that would fit,,most require very minimal depth. They are so much more reliable,,standard equipment here where we were the coldest spot in Canada this morning at -38,,New years eve morning -51 across town at the rivers edge..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMRO-ZERO-STAR ... f2&vxp=mtr

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

I guess I am confused. the freeze plug heater is more reliable? the link goes to an inline heater.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:51 pm

I certainly wouldn't say a "freeze plug" heater being more reliable,they are prone to leaking (sold 'em for that very reason!).
The type used has many variables,such as preference,if the type is available for the engine (as in the case of the above),the wattage desired...
My preference for a gas engine is the recirculating tank heater with a thermostat and replaceable heating element. I never got around to installing one in my ScoutII even though we had them in stock. I wanted warm air for the 10 minute drive to work and as that type goes in the heater hose and moves the coolant... It took half way to work for decent heat with a real cold 345.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Core plug (I can't call them "freeze plugs) heaters put the heat in the area that you want to heat. Natural thermo-syphon movement of coolant will move the heat around the block. All other heaters heat elswhere and must move the heat to where you need it. It take more watts to do the same job.
Heavy truck engine heater use coolant access plates or ports (threaded holes in the block) because the are almost all wet liner engines and as such have no CORE plugs. They, again, put the heat directly into the block where it is most efficent. Whether they last longer or not, I haven't found them to be short lived. I think the lifespan will be directly related to watt density (the amount of watts in given surface area), The larger the surface area for a given wattage, the longer it will last.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:27 pm

kjhogue wrote:I guess I am confused. the freeze plug heater is more reliable? the link goes to an inline heater.

That link is for a inline heater with no moving parts, you splice it into your lower rad hose and it has a heater element similar to a block heater. I only use block heaters as does the rest of the city. I have only ever had one leak and that was in a ford so I don't think it even counts. Mind you they could leak if not properly installed... I plugged in the block heater on the binder this am to warm it up and take it for a ride now that I got all the snow cleared out of the way. Installing a plug does not get any easier than this one on my K1

Return to Large Trucks