id distributor

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: id distributor

Thanks scott. I am new to the Ih motor. I was nit looking for high performance just and easy and reliable way to keep the truck running you wouldnt have a number fir the guy in washington state?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:25 am

The Pertronix Ignitor 1 & 2 go directly into the dist. and replace the points/cond. with a module,a magnetic trigger wheel slips over the cam and you use the OEM cap,wires.coil & plugs. No need to buy a different dist. and takes about 1/2 hr to install.

Having connections woes with my Wi-Fi so I haven't determined which one is correct for your dist.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:11 am

Again their is no numbers in the bowl. Or a tag on the side. I remove the condensor and point while searching for a number. I dont fhink i have all the parts to put back together. Which brought me too fhe question if i was to go to napa and order a new or refurbd distributor which one would i get fhe predtolite or holey goldbox i did read the link but like i said i havnt worked on fhem since i rebut my novA back in fhe 80's. And bug buying a refurb i would have the correct mod
And number so no to concuse which petronix kit to get. Mdoes that sound right about going to napA? Thanks

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 am

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 am

Don't known if i told you scott o pulled the distributor and its on my bench. I was figureing on just dropping in an hei. But know think getting a refurbed prestolite and the petronix kit to match

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Nope,that one in the link isn't it.

Here's a link for Pertronix;
http://www.pertronix.com/

Application catalog;
http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/p ... n_conv.pdf

Unless the bushings in your dist. are worn out and the shaft has excessive play,there is no reason to get another one.

I'm pretty sure this is the Ignitor you need,it's for Prestolite's with vacuum advance.There are pic's of it so you can see how it's installs (basically),it replaces the plate the points mount on.
https://www.google.com/#q=pertronix+1483a&start=0

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:19 pm

The reason i was going to buy a prestolite re man dist. Was to have it identified so i know what number kit i needed from petronix, secondly i was just at napa they had a rebuilt electronic dist no points for the 345 block. I was reading they are interchangable? What if i got the napa dist and no petronix kit and just dropped in

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Pertronix has 2 PN's for the Prestolite's, 1 is for a dist with vacuum advance & 1 for a dist. without vacuum advance. Yours has vac. adv. so the PN should be 1483A. There are also corresponding PN's for the Ignitor2. Your choice on which one but IMO the regular Ignitor is fine for your use of the truck.

What PN did NAPA find? I found at least 2,One appeares to be the one you'd need,the other may have a governor connection(?).
You can go with one of those BUT they may not take your old one as a core because it's not the electronic model. SO,is the price of the reman. + core charge worth it? In my search there was an Ignitor priced just under $75.00.

It's your choice...one or the other.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:08 am

scott the napa electronic refurb was i think $182 or 282 dont remember plus 50 core charge can the one they have for the 345 drop in my 392 with no problems? i have a new set of wires on there so i hope i can use them with the 345 dist i figured just dropping in the refurb 345 electronic would be the easiest i would also need the coil i had no spark from mine

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Ok so here we i stop in napa ask how much $226.86 with a 80.00 core charge
Ok order it. NOPE. NAPA CANT FIND ANY. The sku is 4844822.nso he calls cardone which is
3044822. They cant locate any either. Back to square 1. Help. What to do
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks