id distributor

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:48 pm

id distributor

I am looking to convert to a platronix electriconic ignition there asking what type distributor i have, the truck is a 1982 harvester s 1724 the original block according to the LST was a 345 there is a 392 in it now can somone help i d this type of distributor thanks

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: id distributor

they said there should be number inside the bowl or on a tag but i couldnt find them

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 am

It's a Prestolite for sure. PN would stamped into the upper housing on the outside IIRC? Or they had a metal tag held by a cap clip screw.

I don't see a governor so here's the PN's I can find (MT-140)
500142C91 IH
IDN4102L S Prestolite

I presume the truck has no governor at all? 392's all came with Holley 4150EG (electronic governor) 4bbl carbs and a governed distributor. Just some FYI.

Do you mean Pertronix Ignitor? They'd IH listing is pretty F'd up for one thing. IH went to only Prestolite distributors ca. 1979. None were used before that time.

The Pertronix PN's I believe fit your dizzy,from how I interpret their catalog.
1483A Ignitor
91483A IgnitorII

Don't use a "hot" coil with it,I sold these things when they first became available thru IH and we were told it's not necessary and too hot a spark could burn pistons. The 392 was more prone to that over the 345 anyway.

If that's what you're going for keep the points/condenser in the truck "just in case" the module dies,that way you can swap things real easy. That was a selling point and a nice feature too. I forget what years but the points,condenser & rotor are the same as older (60's?) MOPAR's with Prestolite dizzy's.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 am

Scott thanks for the help. The truck will be used around my property no over the road. There ia a 4 barrel carb was thinking on changing it to a two barrel. The motor run my pto for my bucket so i figured a 2 brl carm would save some gas. Inwas looking for the truck to run a little smoother. Thats why I was thinking about the electronic ignitiom upgrade

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Before you go changing things try some simple things first. Since the engine probably gets a lot of idle time and only moderate rev rates it's doubtful swapping to a 2V carb. will make any real difference. Being you don't really use the truck on the road the carb. only operates with the primary circuit anyway so changing to a 2V could be a wasted expense.Besides which the intake manifolds are different which adds to the expense.

A good overhaul of the carb. and set to spec. could be all it's needs(?). The 4150 can be finicky and proper adjustment is essential.

None of the IH SV8's were know for their fuel economy,afterall they were designed 50 years ago when things like that weren't really important,gas was so cheap nobody really cared either.

A complete tune-up with everything set to spec. and "fine tuned" can make a big difference too. I always used a timing light,dwell meter and vacuum gauge to tweak things. Try that before going for an Ignitor which may or may not make any big difference in how the engines performs.

A slightly hotter spark plug may also help,cutting down on plug fouling and incomplete combustion.

Back in my dealer days the parent company ran a fleet of school buses (about 800). The shop supervisor was a hands on guy and rebuilt all the engines himself,I never met anyone who knew more about the SV8's than him,he was genuinely a "guru". He would only use Champion UJ-8 plugs,which was by spec. for IH industrial engines. They are just a bit hotter than the truck spec. RJ-6 but not hot enough to burn pistons. The light line trucks and Scouts spec. plug is the RJ-12YC which is rated as too hot for medium duty trucks. The UJ-8 falls in-between the RJ-6 & RJ-12YC. I asked him one day why he used that plug and that was the answer.

Here's some links for carb. manuals,just so you have them;
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/4150-4160_ep_338.html

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech ... dular.html

A number of guys here have used Mike's Carburetor Parts (1st link) and were very satisfied.

Btw, Did you paint that thing? Looks much better.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:53 pm

SCOTT THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO I CHANGED THE PLUGS OIL & FILTER AIR FILTER FUEL FILTER, CHANGED THE WIRES AFTER I CHANGED THE WIRES IT WOULDN'T START I HAD NO SPARK FROM THE COIL DIDN'T REALLY REMOVE ANYTHING LOOKED INSIDE THE CAP AND ROTOR PUT IT BACK ON SO INSTEAD OF CHANGING THE POINT CONDENSER ETC I FIGURED I WOULD REPLACE THE ALL WITH PETRONIX AND START FRESH DONT KNOW HOW TO SPEC THE CARB BUT I DROVE DOWN THE ROAD AND SHE WAS A BIT SLUGGISH AND YES RE PAINTED THE STICK AND AM WORKING ON THE TRUCK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 am

It's up to you Dennis,but the sluggish part points to the carb. IMO. You can find the carb. spec. settings in the manuals the links are for.

Now,I Googled the 1483A Ignitor and found this...
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... p?t=102277

So I went to the catalog and don't even see a 1483 listed!? I checked 2 areas of the catalog too.Don't know the answer to that.
Here's a link for it;
http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/p ... n_conv.pdf

PG.12 is the application listing which is confusing to say the least,some of the footnotes don't make sense or jibe with the 2 lines for the 1483A. Go to pg.31 in the Industrial engine section and they list IHC Truck,the listing are a little clearer.

Like I said,their catalog is F'd up so I'd call these idiots to be sure you get the correct one. It might be a good idea to see what direction the dizzy. goes CW or CCW . I think it's CW but not positive.I'm not sure they'd need that but it would be good to have just in case.

When you confirm the PN Google it ie; "Pertronix 14XX" for the one I did (which is how I found that BP post) I found prices vary greatly.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:39 am

Scott thanks again with all the help i went to napa to look for the ignition condener for the prestolite distributor the condenser had a copper flat connector. Not a wire so he brought out a holley one that looked the same. I havnt tinkered with a carb since back in the day with my nova 350 ill print the links for the carb and read up

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Rebuilding a carb. is like falling off,I mean riding a bicycle... Mike's carb. parts may also have a video on that carb.? He has quite a few.

Here's the Standard Motor Products PN's for the tune-up parts;
AL-5390P Points
AL-118 Condenser (I checked and it's exactly as you said).
AL-171 Rotor
AL-482 Cap
UC-12X Coil

They should help you get the correct parts.

Checked NAPA,they have 3 PN's for the cond. apparently different grades(?).
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... 1/Ne-25000

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:40 pm

scott so while looking for id numbers in the bowl we wound up pulling it, found no numbers, we gutted it, so i am gonna put a dui distributor i know you said they run hotter but there will be no over the road driving, anything i should know do.s and donts thanks
Next

Return to Large Trucks