1985 Cargostar...help please

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:52 pm

1985 Cargostar...help please

Hello, I have been contacted by a gent who has a 1985 Cargostar 1850 and he needs help with the steering. It is a heavy truck and has "dual - steer", meaning it has a steering box on each side of the axel for each front wheel. I have done front end work and worked on several trucks, but never had the chance to work on a dual - steer as well as I dont have any info for that set up off hand. He stated that it felt off a little when driving. He said he has had it to several mechanics but I guess they are like me and are a little ignorant in this set up. Any help would be great, thanks IrisHMike
IrisHMike

Here is a link to "Gangster IH", an on-line library for old IH trucks. https://www.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa You can reach me at PH: 606-six-six3-1531, or email: almanning@godisforyou.com on facebook ...Michael Manning

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: 1985 Cargostar...help please

Ok, any one have an idea? Do you know of a place that does work on this type of front end? I hate not to try and help some one in need, thank again.
IrisHMike

Here is a link to "Gangster IH", an on-line library for old IH trucks. https://www.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa You can reach me at PH: 606-six-six3-1531, or email: almanning@godisforyou.com on facebook ...Michael Manning

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Sorry I am no help either. I did work on the IH Hough aircraft push tractors that were dual steer albeit front and rear axle that could change from front axle steer to both axles steer for really tight turns and crab walk where they both steer the same direction. If the dual steer in the heavy duty truck is anything like they were, you don't want to guess at it. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 pm

I'd try a truck dealer that sells/services heavy trucks. Systems like that are usually found on mixers,garbage trucks,mining and oil field rigs.Dealer brand shouldn't really make a difference since the truck mfrs. don't make the systems.

"He stated that it felt off a little when driving." Isn't much to go on anyway,a little more specific might be helpful.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 am

Mike, I responded over on ATHS, but really there is no differance between that and a normal steer truck. the 2nd box doesn't have any manual input shaft and just has two hyd cyl and the sector shaft. The main box has two extra lines running from its cyl sections (one on top, one at the bottom) that run over to the slave box, controlling it with the same pressure in the main box. If it is "loosy goosy" on the road, then look to all the same things for a single steer box truck. King pins, tie rod and drag link along with alingment.
The twin box arrangement is done so when large tires and large weight are used on the front axle, all the steering force for the right tire doesn't have to be thru the tie rod, which would bend if the truck was in soft ground.
The right box cannot cause a wondering truck in itself as it only sees the same pressure as the main box.

Return to Large Trucks