1979 IHC 4200 transtar

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:59 pm

1979 IHC 4200 transtar

Anyone have an idea where to locate windshield rubbers? I can get the windshields but the rubbers that they mount in are not available from what i can see. I have talked to 2 different dealers here in Kansas and they both say they are not to be had. fairly certain these are the original ones. I have googled the part number 403340C2 and came up empty. Trying to fix the old truck up a little and get it sold.
Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:23 pm

Re: 1979 IHC 4200 transtar

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vintage+ ... nt=gws-wiz
Why put yourself through all of that grief? Polish the hood and super clean the windscreen to make the truck more saleable. Let become the next victim's project.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:35 pm

It has started to delaminate (sp) and it is cracked as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:11 pm

Just get straight windshield gasketing rubber that matches the type used. To make the corners, heat in hot water or hot sand to mold it to shape.
I have replaced the rubber on a few trucks this way.
The two piece style with removeable lock strip is a little easier to mold than the single piece with integral lock strip, both a do able, and I have done both.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:37 pm

Any idea who to contact to get the rubber? Is this something Steele Rubber would handle? I am guessing here that these windshields have to be "roped" in?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:30 pm

Any glass shop that can cut safety glass should be able to get you some. I use a coupla of tools designed for windshield glass work. With the lockstip out, I work the glass in and the outer edge of the gasket over the glass. Some I guess use a thin rope or string to flare the gasket, but on a large truck that takes two people, and I've always did mine windshield by my lonesome self!
A little rubber lube or at least some soap goes a long way in getting the glass to slide in the rubber.
The gasket material is sized by the glass thickness, the body flange thickness some have more overlap than others, but if you walk in with a piece of what you have now, they should be able to match it up.
My Dart has windshield corners that the angle is tighter than 90 deg and I was able to bend the stuff that tight.
Unlike car and light trucks in the 50's, big trucks use a common "lock strip" type gasket that is common to all kinds of industrial glass installations.
It is helpful to have someone who does glass work help or at least show you how to do your first one.
Flat glass is easier than "bent" glass to install, once you get it close they just pop the rest of the way in, then you install the lock strip to lock it in place.
https://metrommp.com/windshield_seal_wi ... gKQsPD_BwE
https://www.grainger.com/product/10G547 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:17 pm

One other thing, I believe that cab remained the same through the end of the 9300 series in the late 90's. The windshield and gasket should be the same to your late 70's cab.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:45 am

One thing I forgot. The Cabovers of this vintage used 3 different window gaskets, they were "updated" three times. Some had a bolt in divider piece, while the latest version had the divider molded into the gasket. You could use a later type on an early but not the other way around (without modification).
I wouldn't be surprised that the windshield gasket for the conventional cab faced the same "upgrade". So a late 90's 9300 gasket might work just fine if you can find one. Each "upgrade" got a different part number.
On the cabovers there was a metal piece that ran vertical down the center of the cab opening. On the early gaskets there was either two piece rubber that went in the joint (one inside, one outside the glass) or a single piece rubber with slots for the glass, in both cases there was a metal cover that went on from the outside, that had stud that passed through the gasket and had nuts in the cab side. On later cabovers, this was replaced with divider gasket and lock strip with nothing bolted in place. SO you could use the later on the early cabs but would need to drill the center post to use the bolt on type center seal.
It might be easier to find a gasket for a later truck. Somewhere around 2000 or so the conventional cab was redesigned for a single piece cement in type windshield.

Return to Large Trucks