Paint Code

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Paint Code

I need some help with the interior paint code for a 1979 4070B Transtar. Previous owner painted the inside but did a poor job and didn't use the factory code paint. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF0052.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 am

Re: Paint Code

Pretty nice looking Transtar there Dan. 8-)

Paint codes are on LST's near the bottom. IIRC the interior was usually something like the lower color on yours,"Champagne". Don't recall for sure but,I believe only Eagle packages had "matching" colors in & out(?). The luggage compartment should be the same as the int. though(?).
Looks like the dark color is (or was) Dark Brown Metallic,same color of my '79 ScoutII. Only brown I remember from that period actually.

Southland has the best selection of IH paint charts I've found.
http://www.oldinternationaltrucks.ca/

Charts won't open for me. :t2102:
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon May 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Scottso, Thanks, it's a pretty decent old truck. I don't have a line set ticket and I've been looking at all the charts I can find on the net but I can't seem to find the right color code. I was hoping someone would know. Thanks, Dan

PJ3

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue May 19, 2015 8:45 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 19, 2015 11:44 am

Unfortunately interior paint isn't listed on any chart. The chart in the link opened for me this time. Buuut,the only one that has any kind of list for int. colors is 1974 and it lists it as "gold",no code,no sample,no nuttin!

Dan,on the (very) off chance there could be an LST in the truck (if you haven't discovered), the pass. side dash has 2 or 3? thumb screws along the windshield,loosen them and the cover flips open and on the inside of it is where they stuck the LST. You might even see the original color in there(?). It's a small copy and hard to read so,it's would be a good idea to see if you can get a copy.

I took a look in the MT-138 Irish Mike has to see if the int. colors for floor mats and such would give a hint but there are only 2 colors listed, Brown was standard and Burgundy optional. The book is old though,only Revision 4 and the front pg. seems to indicate 1975. So it might be a good idea to look for a more current revision,it's printed on just about every page,bottom center "Rev. 00" so it's easy to check.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 19, 2015 6:24 pm

PJ3, Thanks, I looked at that site but the colors don't seem the match.

Scottso, I'll look for it under the dash. I'll be taking the dash out anyway and replacing it with a better one. Maybe I'll find it. Thanks, Dan

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 am

I ran a bunch of those old B cabs during the 70's and finally got rid of the last one about 15 years ago. The exterior of all of them was what we called "refrigerator white". None of them had the Eagle package, but I did buy some wrecked eagles for parts. I think most of them had kind of a reddish carpet over the dog house with the bottom of the inside door panel the same carpet. Some of them had a dark brown imitation leather on the dog house. Looks like you got one of the first of the bigger cabs. The couple of inches of leg room made a lot of difference. And getting rid of the cable operated clutches was a big step forward. I think I still have a spare cable hanging in the parts room.

Here is a stock photo of a B cab interior and dash.
https://plus.google.com/112636930370126 ... 7186692269

https://plus.google.com/112636930370126 ... 7186692269

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 24, 2015 4:41 pm

The color in the pic's is the one I remember most,not really a pretty color but as std. was brown for seats etc. it works OK.

Dan,the pic with dash made it click in my head where the LST was hidden,under the angled dash cover,not the pass. side. The pass. side was the Paystar & Transtar conv.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon May 25, 2015 9:48 am

Scottso, I found the LST under the dash. It's not in very good shape and I'll have to get a magnifying glass to try and read it. I called a friend who had restored a 4070B several years ago and he gave me a code that he was sure was the color. I'm going to try to identify all the paint codes if possible. I'll post what I find out. Thanks, Dan

Return to Large Trucks