13 speed air valve and D35 hood parts

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: 13 speed air valve and D35 hood parts

That valve is for 13's that were called "underdrives",the intermediate (int) gearing was in-between low & direct.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=13 ... on&start=0

CB, I remember the ones with the center screw too. Real easy to put new o-rings in,it could be left on the stick and the job took only a few minutes.

If I remember right I learned 13's on one with the two valves,I know I drove one. Kinda like that set-up,I have long fingers so using the valve on the stick is easy.

I hate to argue BUT I will here...

"Once you cross the 1 1/2 ton line its medium duty."

I TOTALLY disagree and Wiki isn't the only list that says so,GoodYear truck tires for example has the same info.

1.5 ton trucks are LIGHT trucks.

An admin. on another forum has a "rule" back up what you post with facts.
Here's some facts.
D30 spec sheet is here;
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... 5368/rec/6
Shows 9000lbs. which makes it a Class 2

Goodyear agrees;
http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/r ... _S15_V.pdf

Want more?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Tr ... sification

Knock yourself out,every link I checked has the same info.
Dems da facts and ya can't buck facts!

As for not getting replies in the correct section, I'm sure you would have,I check it and so do the other 3 guys posting here.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm not familiar with the old 13's. Were they like a nine speed that could split the gears in high range or more like a five speed with three ranges but you could only use the low hole in low?
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Think of it like a 9, except you're going from low to INT and split that into direct as you would a 13 from Dir. to OD.
Kind of a PITA IMO,with an OD 13 you can use it like a 9 when in slow traffic etc.
Still,air shift sure beats the pants off two sticks,that takes practice!

I found a Roadranger document with shift pattern labels which lists the trannies that used it. Thought the OP could ID his pattern and try using different trans. models to find the right valve.
http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/pu ... 916-47.pdf

FYI, the "F" at the end of a prefix indicates a "forward shift rail housing" which were mainly(?) used in cab overs. ie; an RTO9513 has the normal housing while a RTOF would have the forward rail housing.

Forgot this... Found a pic of the knob with the screw CB.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:30 pm

The forward rail or not really depends on how the engine is placed in the chassie. My Marmon has a RTOF 14615, and is a conventional. Conventional trucks with walk-in sleepers often can benefit from moveing the stick forward, where as day cabs can have the stick between the seats with no draw backs.
Underdrive 13's aren't that common. The newest generation 13's are basically a 9speed over with an underdrive splitter gear and a cross-bar shift housing. this makes direct one stick position down and splitter in direct. This gives 2 OD ratios (.83 and .73 or something like that.)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 pm

I haven't paid attention to this thread for a while. I am still searching for a D35 hood but, discovered a D40 hood is altogether different. After some careful reading in the grey bible, the D35 had a longer hood but, used the same grille as the smaller trucks. The D40 got a different hood, wider grille, and larger fenders than a D35.

As for the air valve, the knob on that member's gate is the same as my RT-613 came with. The RTO-613 had it's own pattern, which is the same as the RTO-6613, but all it's own vs. other Eaton fuller 13 speeds. The 600 and 6000 series transmissions were both set up like a 5 speed, with an aux box, you didn't "split" gears like a typical 13 speed. Label 19304 shows the pattern... you shift through the 3 lows, range to intermediate, through 5, range to direct, back through 5. On OD models the last gate is reversed. My 13th is .80 over FWIW. I called on a lead in truck paper and ended up getting a NOS eaton fuller shift knob, Thanks to Scottso!

I do wonder if my RTO-613 can be swapped to a forward shift housing if need be, i'm not sure it can be done since I have an oddball 13 speed.

Scottso, I'm not trying to start a debate on the 1 1/2 ton, just trying to get help from other IH guys who see more bigger trucks. The D35 can be a 1 1/2 or a 2 ton, I need a hood off one and need all the help I can get. It's not a pickup part, so I came over here for help.
Previous

Return to Large Trucks