Latest R160

Links to U-Tube videos that are IH related.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Latest R160

I see so many of those "cold start" videos on youtube and always thought I'd never do one. I hate starting an engine if its really cold unless I pre-heat it with either a block heater or space heater. As it happened I needed to start the IH R160 this morning as it was in front of a tractor I needed to get out of the shed. Not super cold winter weather but it was down to 15 farenheit last night so the engines were pretty stiff. The old IH fired up easier than the diesel Case tractor did even with pre heating. Short video of it here.
http://youtu.be/HqwAVVMhbhw

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am

Re: Latest R160

Amazing! I've never had a battery that old that would start anything.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 pm

dean466 wrote:Amazing! I've never had a battery that old that would start anything.

Dean

I'll admit its hard to believe a battery can last that many years and still start an engine but I have had some good luck with batteries lately. The two sixes in that 730 Case behind the truck I was starting has equally old batteries. I've had the tractor since 02 and I don't know how long they had been on the tractor when I got it. The two big twelve volt "magna start" batteries in my Case IH Magnum 7130 are still starting the tractor without a problem, and they are 14 years old. I installed them myself so I know. Two more on the 1660 combine are close to that age as well and they made it through another harvest without fail. All different brands so I can't say there is any one that is the best.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Pretty good, Ralph. I haven't had that kind of experience. It helps to service and clean grounds and cables on a regular basis, and to keep checking level of acid and specific gravity of acid. I often trickle charge my batteries and the guage on the charger indicates the "need" the batt. has, usually only taking a bit of a charge to top off. My truck battery was new and is going on 4 years now with a well running generator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Manfred Range wrote:Pretty good, Ralph. I haven't had that kind of experience. It helps to service and clean grounds and cables on a regular basis, and to keep checking level of acid and specific gravity of acid. I often trickle charge my batteries and the guage on the charger indicates the "need" the batt. has, usually only taking a bit of a charge to top off.

Manfred, I am almost embarrassed to admit that these are truly "maintenance free" batteries. Meaning I hardly even look at them. I think most are sealed so can't check the levels. I never remove them or even the cables for winter. I might put a low amp charger on them once through the winter but that's about it for maintenance. Just lucky I guess.

Return to IHC Videos