A STORY

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 pm

A STORY

In the 1970's, a few years before I met the girl I married, I went to a concert at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre with my then GF. The entertainer was an Ivan Rebroff. My GF was given the tickets because she was a singer in a Bach Chamber Choir. I had no idea of what we was going to experience later that evening.
The Lights went down and a double spot light came on and there was this very large man in a Russian costume. The orchestra started to play, paused and Ivan Rebroff started to sing. It was a strong manly voice with terrific control and as he continued to sing Evening Bells his voice dropped into the basement and then suddenly and without warning he soared into the very high notes, this was his signature.
The audience applauded everything he sang and then it was intermission. The lights went down and then came up and there he was, standing at the end of our row of seats. He beckoned to me and said in his commanding tone, " Stand Up." I stood up precisely as I was told. The room of several thousand persons was silent and I could feel some panic raging inside my head. "Come", he said and I obediently stumbled to the isle. He asked, "Can you sing? and I coughed out, "No." He was two meters tall and built like a telephone booth with appendages. "No", he said, "Try this" and he held a note for me to follow. I really tried hard to follow him. He shook my hand and said, "Not too bad, don't forget this moment." The he walked away.
Years went by and suddenly we have You Tube. There he was as big as life. I brought up Evening Bells and while I listened, time melted away and I was carried to a distant place. Sadly, this great singer left us for eternity in 2008.
This is one of my best memories.
https://youtu.be/sZpTWmwOHw0
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: A STORY

In the 1960's I used to listen to a radio show called Café' Continental. The Austrian host featured popular European entertainers. HIs show was every Sunday afternoon about 15:00h. One Sunday, the program was all European coloratura soprano female singers. One of these singers was Ingeborg Hallstein and it was nearly 50 years ago when I heard her for the first time. Her voice was so capturing that I had to stop the company vehicle and just listen. She made such an impression on me that I have never forgotten her name. A few years later, I was being a tourist in Germany and I narrowly missed getting admission to a concert featuring an evening with Ingeborg. In the next few days, I visited the Porsche factory to watch my new car being assembled and then later that day, I went to the Mercedes Museum. While these events were monumental, in my life, I never forgot Ingeborg Hallstein.
fortunately, we have You Tube and her voice lives on. Here is my favorite of her performances. She was so outstanding that she became the standard by which other singers, similar to her, were measured. For better or worse, listen to this terrific talent.
https://youtu.be/dD43qG2R5Yo
https://youtu.be/dD43qG2R5Yo

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Mel Blanc 's wife is away on a holiday. She calls home to talk to Mel. She says," I just wanted to hear your voices. "

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Where do pumpkins come from

A belated, Happy Halloween
Attachments
GREAT PUMPKINS.jpg
HAPPY HALOWEEN

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Same to you. I do love my candy.. :)

BTW : Beautiful vocals glad you shared the story.. good stuff!

Hope your keeping healthy and happy.

Steve

Return to Stories, Tales, Games