welding table

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:38 pm

welding table

I had thought a welding table would be a good deal and same my back a bit so I did not have do my welding fabrication on the garage floor or driveway. My garage is small with two vehicles in it, my KB1 and a 60 Falcon, so I do not have much room. I began looking at different ones that fold up and about the best deal I could find was about $150 plus shipping. So I decided i could make my own for a bunch less.
weld table_2.JPG
weld table_1.JPG

so here a couple photos, one folded out and one folded. The top is 18 x 24 12 gage steel and the legs are 1 x 1 tube. total cost is about $65. It works real well. A larger one would be nice but given my space restrictions this will do just fine.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: welding table

You could put a slight bend in the bottom part of the legs to give it a little bigger support base, and still not take up much room or reduce vertical strength. Something like a Pipe bender to give the slight bend in the legs below your hinge joint.
Just thinking out loud. That is a great Table, and gives me the Idea to do the same, less space taken up in the shop, and you do not always need the table. Shops I have been in, the fixed tables(like all other bench's) become collectors of "stuff"

Great, and thanks for the pictures!

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

the photo seems to be a bit distorted in perspective. the table is quite stable with the legs open at the full width of the top. the center pivot is the center of the length of the legs.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 pm

kjhogue wrote:the photo seems to be a bit distorted in perspective. the table is quite stable with the legs open at the full width of the top. the center pivot is the center of the length of the legs.

Thanks, I understand now. A Great Table!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Cool looking table, good job

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

Very nice! http://www.stronghandtools.com sell something similar. Kind of a pat on the back. It is possible to see the Strong Hand tables in action on YouTube, under welding tips and tricks.
I use a cast iron 24" square layout table mounted on a hydraulic motorcycle lift with four good locking casters. The table can be raised to support longer material that overhangs the milling machine. For larger layout and assembly I have a 36" square cast iron table that was used for lead type work. Both tables were free, the hydraulic lift was $45 on Craigs List. I would like to convert the larger table to hydraulic lift and I'm watching for a good deal. (free )
I could post a picture, I suppose, but it isn't clear,to me, how to get the size down.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to Stories, Tales, Games