For all you doubt'ers

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:56 pm

For all you doubt'ers

Last night it dropped to 4 deg F, it is now 13 deg F.... I have 15w -40 in the crankcase and the truck hasn't run in a few weeks. Not only did 6 volt (Group 2 battery) crank it, it had to crank long enough to re-prime the fuel system and start the truck. Again, all this was done with a 6 volt battery, that was NOT on a charger or maintainer, just a truck that has sat in the cold. 6 volt can and does work, you just need good cables and connections.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: For all you doubt'ers

That is because it is your truck and I know that everything is as good as it can get. 15-40 is my first choice. Happy New Year to you and the Missus.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 am

The fact you likely have a good battery makes a difference as well as clean connections but try starting it when it actually gets cold out. I think the true test would be hand cranking it in cold weather,,would that no be the most fun a guy could have with his clothes on! 15 40 wont even pour out of the jug a -30,,I use it at work and keep it in the cab during the winter..13F is quite balmy. We just got temps above 0 F for the first time in 3 weeks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 am

I think you are missing the point. Starting anything at -30F can be a challange. I have started my 6 volt K below zero. My point was: it was started on 6 volt after sitting for weeks in a cold soak. Most claim they can't start with 6 volt in warm weather. If I were to use this truck often in cold weather, it would have 10w-30 or even 5w-30 in the crankcase. Most of my vehicles have block heaters for when temps dip below zero, not because they are always required (the Big bore diesel require them) but becuase it is easyer on all componants to warm them.
Had I had a block heater on the K it wouldn't even be worth mentioning, or even if I had thin oil in it. The point I was makeing is that most blame 6 volt for starting problems when it their own maintance of the electrical system that is the problem.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 am

OOOOH!! I had never heard of 6 volts being hard to start...timing,spark and boom she's running. You are correct that its lack of maintenance that is the culprit in most cases.. It is usually the coldest days when folks are reminded their battery posts are due for cleaning.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 am

CB, I get your point, and agree. If the trucks wouldn't start at all in cold weather, I believe they would have hard to sell in the first place. It's funny how some people don't have time to take care of their equipment when it's warm out, but can when they have no choice... Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm

ok,... mine is 12V,.. and our temps are rarely below -18C at worst. I do maintain mine well, and it has always cold started, even at -6F the other day. I do pump it 8 times on the pedal, full choke for 2 sec. and the when it stutters, I put the choke in to just enough to run smooth in a 10 sec. period. My recipe and it works. I go over my ground straps routinely, which is a good habit to get into. I use conductive grease. Manny

Edit add: yesterday (Jan 31), I put the truck back on the road, because My jeep needs some work. it was-10C and the doors were froze shut, till I thawed them to get in. It growled pretty hard, but started with the same recipe. I was impressed!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:20 am

Mine's 12v, but one pump and hold at half throttle with full choke and mine starts every time. Coldest I've tried is -35F. Runs like a dog until the entire engine bay is warm, but it does run.

The '50 Cadillac and '55 New Yorker a couple buddies have are both 6v and are pretty much the same way
1956 S-120 4x4 (Factory)

Sometimes I think if I were a collector of gold bricks, I would have a cheaper hobby.

Return to Stories, Tales, Games