Being American

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Being American

Here is one for Lloyd
In the late 1940s, our neighbour's wife took some dry cleaning fluid to some spots on her husband's Sunday-go-to-meeting suit. She poured the now dirty cleaning fluid into the outdoor toilet and thought she was done with it. Her husband came in from the field and stopped at the outdoor relief station to get rid of a problem that had been bothering him. Things were not moving as quickly as he had hoped and after thumbing the pile of old newspapers he decided that a puff on his pipe might encourage his system to cooperate. When the pipe had been fired up, he threw the still smoldering match into the adjacent hole. This set off a blast that blew the door off and sent the neighbour out into the yard. Some of the contents of the pit were sent flying straight up and then returned to earth landing on and around the stunned neighbour.
Same neighbour:
They bought a horse for the family. The oldest son went out riding the new-to-them horse for most of the day. When the son returned for supper, he complained to his mother that he felt some pain from the chafing of the saddle. His mother suggested that some Vaseline or petroleum jelly might ease the discomfort. While surveying the irritated area she reached into the medicine cabinet and picked out the familiar round jar. A two finger load of relief was applied to the area of discomfort and immediately the son started to scream in pain. The familiar round jar was blue and not white. VICKS VAPORUB is good for a cough and apparently good for a scream. And, now, good for a laugh.
Attachments
Gramma's outhouse.jpg
My Grandmother's out-house built 100 years ago
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:13 pm " conjuring" I did Google the word. Sleight of hand? magic tricks? To summon the Devil or an evil spirit? I don't know about that.

You spend to much time thinking devilish thoughts ;)

conjure
verb
1 |ˈkänjər; ˈkən-| [ trans. ]
• call (an image) to mind : she had forgotten how to conjure up the image of her mother's face.
• (of a word, sound, smell, etc.) cause someone to feel or think of (something) : one scent can conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:27 pm

The way that I see this developing situation is, a person can be known by the company they keep. So with this in mind and no acceptable solution I need to get away from it.
I have learned to respect more than a few very knowledgeable persons and they have challenged me to work at a higher level. For the most part, I have enjoyed this forum. I hope that a few of the 3175 posts and 1661 pictures have entertained and helped in some small way. I have welcomed that opportunities to send free parts to a few members who were really stuck. For me, it was about getting another IHC on the road and not the money.
I will not be logging in on this forum in the foreseeable future, so comment away and entertain each other.
My better half has suggested that I post a You Tube link to each of the finished projects, in the appropriate sections. I will certainly email the links to those who I have been in contact with outside of the forum.
So, thank you, Lloyd, for all that you do for the forum. This forum has been, for me, with a very few exceptions, one of the best forums on the internet.
NIKKINUTSHOP
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to Stories, Tales, Games