OH DEARLY BELOVED

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 pm

OH DEARLY BELOVED

I had to go the funeral for one of the Union guys. There were hundreds of persons there and a lady friend and I were just able to get seats inside. The service was long and boring and it seemed that everyone who had ever seen this guy was trying to hang their hat on the occasion. It was more than painful. My throat was getting drier by the second and I became the victim of one of those little check valve thingies in my nose, you know the one that only allows air to flow unrestricted in one direction. I could feel the clicking as I was breathing. Out of respect to the deceased, I tried to silently pass just a little more air against the blockage and this is where things went terribly wrong. The little flap broke loose, left my nose and whirled through the air, like a Frisbee and hit my then boss in the back of his head. He, probably thinking this was a bug, gently swatted himself and imbedded the object in his hair. My lady friend got the giggles and shook like a leaf in the wind. It was infectious and in seconds I was trying to stifle myself. Fortunately the persons around us thought we were overcome with emotion. I guess that we were, well, sort of. I think that the deceased would have seen the humour in it, after all, he was the guy who always blamed others for his moments of indiscretion.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: OH DEARLY BELOVED

i am sorry for your loss.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:54 pm

It has been a few years and I am still out on that lose thing. Sometimes we have "to go" for the politics and that is all. The guy was a real jerk in life. His estranged daughter gave the eulogy and she said that her father had destroyed the family and if it were not for her having to collect the balance of the estate that was left to her, she and her husband would never have attended. Her father never made the effort to visit his grandchildren. The oldest was in grade one. I just thought the flying booger was funny then and now. I do not have any respect for those who like to hang onto these events for their own career betterment.
On the other hand, when my motorcycle riding friend died, there was over a thousand motorcycles and nearly 2000 persons at his service. He had lived a life of including others and having a good time. There is a big difference between inspiration and warning. Both are noteworthy.
I am at that time in my life when I am nearly able to predict what has happened when the telephone rings late and I look at the call display.
We lost another one of the guys last night. He was in his mid seventies and had suffered more than 10 heart attacks in the last three years. He continued to ride his Harley every time he had his drivers license returned. He was generous with his time and kind to others while being a really though guy from the water-front with zero tolerance for what he called Goofs. I have been prepared for his death for some time, but it will take some time for the hole that he has left in our lives to slowly fill. He was here for a short visit, only a few days ago and said, "this is it". He thanked me for the good times and said ,"Keep up the good work". We shook hands and then he rode off into the evening and toward his home. Somehow I knew that it was over and I am really OK with it. I am sure that there will be hundreds of persons at his service and hundreds of motorcycles. While there will be some grieving, as there should be, we will have more to be happy about for having known our friend. As was his wish, he went fast with a massive and final heart attack or "slammer" as he like to call them. I hope that I am doing something that I have enjoyed, in life, when my turn comes. He had his hands on the handle-bar grips and his feet on the pegs and his new Harley between his legs. I told my wife, "If you see me starting to fade, hand me a vernier calipers tip me over against the milling machine.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:20 pm

I can relate to both stories, Some you "have" to go to because, Others you Want to go to Because you want to Remember a Life Well Lived! My Fathers funeral was one of those, back in 91, There were over 300 people at the funeral. Even today, folks tell me things that he did for them over the I hope that when My time comes, more than just family will "remember" me fondly.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:09 pm

The guy's daughter really bad mouthed him in front of hundreds of people at a funeral?
A well known local resident who rubbed hundreds if not thousands the wrong way recently passed away here.
In my memories of him I want to punch him in the mouth.
I didn't go to the funeral, but lots of people I know did.
From the reports of the eulogies, he was just the greatest man.
I've never been to a funeral where the deceased was ragged on.
Hopefully my funeral won't be the first!
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Smog_guy wrote:
I've never been to a funeral where the deceased was ragged on.
Hopefully my funeral won't be the first!

At least if it is you will not need to care!
I think little is gained by bad mounthing someone at that point. I don't think lieing about how good they are is good either, So I think I would either stay away, or keep my thoughts to myself.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Yes!
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm with the daughter on this one. It was therapeutic. Anyone that knew the deceased was painfully aware of the situation he caused. Some of us went for the catered reception and it was a good one with an open bar. I got a ride to the event and took a taxi home, after.
I do not care what happens to me after I am gone. I do not care because I do have any religion to mess me up by telling me that I am worth special treatment, after. I hope that I never have to "be up there looking down" because I am not OK with heights.
I told my daughter to have my hide tanned and made into an English Ladies riding saddle so what remains of me can spend eternity between the two things that I most liked in life, ladies and horses.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Today, I went on a motorcycle ride to salute a good friend who died a week ago. He was a hard man and a true biker. It has been said of him, "You could drive a nail into his hide and then bend it over and he would not even blink". He was one of those persons who's word and firm handshake could be counted on, 100%. He was truly one of the old guard boys and member of the ILWU. We were members of the same truck club and his regular visits encouraged me to continue on with my shop projects even when it looked like cancer would steal my dreams. His language was hardened from time spent with real men, but when he crossed the threshold and entered our home, he turned into a gentleman. It took about ten heart attacks, over a few years to finally fell him.
There were about 350 motorcycles and a number of hot rods that showed up to show respect. The event was up-beat because the 500 or so persons in attendance were all better for having known this person. He was not a religious person, but his life might have been a good example to some of those who claim to have religion are an offence to others.
It was his wish that there not be a service, so the ride started at the local American motorcycle dealer ended at his favorite “watering hole”. The impromptu meet and greet was a nice way to reconnect with persons from the past. The event turned into a celebration of life for those of us who have survived as much as it was for the Dearly Beloved.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:23 pm

It is good to "celebrate" the Life of someone who's word was their bond. Hope to have friends remember me when I am gone, and that I made a positive impact on some.
Glad you got to reconnect with persons from the past.
Next

Return to Stories, Tales, Games