Tighter than i thought

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Tighter than i thought

Got my garage finally sorted, just need to do the drive before my truck can finally come home. Had a trail of putting the truck in the garage since completeing the work....tighter than i thought.
Attachments
GEDC2732.JPG
GEDC2730.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Tighter than i thought

Whoever put that French door there was thinking ahead! When I stuffed my A120 in our little garage, I had to sit in in it and starve for a week before I could get out. :lol:

Hope you greased the fenders up first, otherwise it's gonna be a bear to get out.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Bit of a long story, but i had to fit different style hinges so the doors would open up further, that allowed the truck to get in, but could not then open the doors to get out :bashhead: . That was when i then fitted the french doors, which now allows the door to open and i can get out :yay: I had about 1/2 inch to spare at the front and back, so i made a shelf for the tumble drier to go on just to give me a bit more room.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Ha! That's great!

Good ole American ingenuity.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 pm

OhioBoy wrote:Ha! That's great!

Good ole American ingenuity.

Well, More Like British Ingenuity!

Or should I say IH Ingenuity!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 pm

What a great story, Luke! I know all too well how small most European garages are. You guys have way more of a sense of making do with tight space than we Americans, who usually have way more space than we need. Millions of European homes don't even have a yard, just a home on a completely used up lot. I've been in Germany twice, and using space efficiently is where it's at.
It makes me realise how blessed I am with the lot I have. I even covet some of the other guys with their three car garages, and paint booths, the whole deal! I also don't have a garage, but I have a lawn that needs mowing. But I do chuckle at your ingenuity with the french doors! You do what you have to! Manny

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Glad you liked the story Manny. Your right about the homes in europe. My house was built in the early 60's, so we do have a front and back yard, not massive, the back yard or garden as we would call it is about 35' x 40'. The garages of this time can fit an averaged size family car in them, just about allowing you to open the doors and get out with a squeeze. The houses that have been built in the last 10 - 15 years the garages are not designed to have any sized car in them, its just for storage. Nobody or very people actually use there garage for putting the cars in. Some new houses do have a double garage, but you cant fit 2 cars in them. When the housing market went through the roof 7-8 years ago, alot of people just could not afford to move, so they converted the garages into living space.
I would give my right arm to have what some of you guys have out there big garages, big gardens or yards. You can get some houses like that over here, but they are in the country side and cost a fortune and unfortunately i just dont have the money. Like you said Manny i just have to make do with what i got, but im happy, i have my family......and my truck. :D

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:25 am

yay, that's a tight fit... The house where I live now has one of those tiny garages too, built in the late 50-ies, too small to get a normal sized car into it. We use it as a garden shed. At mom's place (well it's mine now too since she passed a short while ago) I have a better garage, 64 square meters (about 640 square feet) with two 3 meter (10 ft) wide doors. That's enough to work on my trucks. Plans are to move out there and probably build another house and a bigger garage (at least 1500 sq ft), but that's one of the famous five year plans...

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Return to Stories, Tales, Games