what a day

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:13 am

what a day

what a day yesterday was. we are having some pretty bad weather at the moment across the uk. Normally i would not dream of taking the truck out in the rain never mind the snow, but the MOT was due. So there i was happy at driving the truck, but miffed that it was getting covered it in dirty old slush :x It then got worse, they failed the truck because it does not have a rear number plate light :x :x . I expland that it has never had one and they had passed it for the last 2 years. Oh was the reply. The long and the short of it is they are going to phone the ministry on monday and let me know, they may pass it, they may not. If they fail it, ive got 10 days in which to fit one and get it back to the garage or i'll have to pay another £35 :x

This probably sounds strange but woke up this morning and we've had more snow, about 4". Probably nothing to a lot of you guys out there, but its enough to cause havoc of here :) .

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 am

Re: what a day

Is you truck 12v or 6v? Either way, find the proper bulb, look for a "plate" fixture out of another truck and figure out a way to fasten it "securely" to the plate area, If they require it. Then once passed, you can take more time to look for a better solution to the issue(you know they will come up with it again, next time) something like the Ford truck ones that come through a small hole in the metal. Just my thoughts.

Hope they pass it with out tho. Don't you just love the What if of the Government.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry to hear of your misadventure. I'm reminded that I need to do just that! Let me know what your solutions are so I can modernise that aspect. ACTUALLY,...I live back to back with our community D.O.T. (MOT in UK) official and he definitely scopes me out! He's never done or said anything in regard to that, although the horn simply gets a non-verbal thumbs up on first sight. It kinda stands out on my roof! My previous owner passed the inspection, and I never had to deal with it :) Manny

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm

I managed to get like a generic one, but its just how im going to fit it on and try and make it look something. Im sure i'll figure something out, but like you say it will come up again!! i'll post some photos when its done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:00 pm

good! look forward to that. Manny

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Garage phoned me today. the ministry says its a fail. The swines :x . I'll be fitting the new light on easter monday. I'll take some photos of the outcome.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Like I said, isn't it a mystery that they will make a person "change" an original vehicle, and then not want to give you the "original" designation, or make it so you can not use it, Unless you "bring" it up to current specifications. What part of "Original" do they not understand! It's all a money Grab.

Just my sour grapes for your situation.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 am

I used to have a combination tail light/license plate holder that had a clear lens in the bottom of the housing. That made the tail light double as a plate illuminator. Not sure if it will fit your application or if the MOT will pass it, but try looking at trailer lights and you'll find some.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-3886 ... QgodCAkAag
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Garys solution works, but it depends on the bumper you have. Mine has the plate mount in the centre.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:09 pm

OhioBoy wrote:I used to have a combination tail light/license plate holder that had a clear lens in the bottom of the housing. That made the tail light double as a plate illuminator. Not sure if it will fit your application or if the MOT will pass it, but try looking at trailer lights and you'll find some.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-3886 ... QgodCAkAag

I found a tail light like that for my S160. Actually it was not a tail light originally. Came off a combine grain tank and had the opaque glass lens instead of red. I just painted the lens red. Left the side lens on the side of the housing clear so it shines on the license plate . Of course there is more flexibility in where to mount a license plate on the bigger trucks like my 160.
Next

Return to Stories, Tales, Games