Engine rebuild

Early 50's IHC hot rods

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 am

Engine rebuild

I took a compression reading on my L110 yesterday and. It is bad 60 on all but #3 is at 40 pounds so I guess I will be rebuilding her is there a kit or where can I get the parts the old girl runs but not to strong please let me know thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 am

Re: Engine rebuild

compression variables can be misleading, I'd do a bleed down test before tearing it apart, is it a runner now? did you warm it up to operating temp before testing?
if it runs put a vacuum gauge on it, they can tell you if you have burnt valve(s), etc.

I don't know that you can buy a kit off the shelf to rebuild it, you'd need to know if crank needs to be turned .010 or .020, same with cylinders, stock bore OK? .010 over clean em up? .020, .060?

pistons are tough to find, I think bearings can be found, but a whole complete rebuild kit?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm with BRJ. 1st determine the internal condition, if it truely needs a re-bore than you can proceed to finding parts. Many engine that sit can get rust build up on valves and seats that can re seal with a bit of running or even a valve grind.
Working on any obsolete engine that needs major work, start by finding the parts before going further. If all you can find are .030 over pistons than boreing to .020 does no good, if it only cleans up at .040 but you can only lay your hands on std, then have it sleeved to std. Same for a crank. don't cut until you know what you have and what you can get.
Be realistic on your goals, if it is an occasional driver, it doesn't need a blueprinted engine! I once took a 225 Dodge burning a qt ever 25 miles to a runner that burned a qt ever 1500 by re-ringing the orignal pistons and honing the bore. Ya the bores were tapered and the piston ring grooves worn, but guess what? it ran for many more years with good oil consumption, better than many newer cars.
If you are going to put a turbo kit on it and run it hard, than yes, a full rebuild is wise, and no matter what, if I am going that deep in, I replace the main and rod bearings with new of the size that is in there now if I can get them. If it is an engine with a timing chain (none of IHC designed 6's used one) I throw a chain on and inspect the sprockets.
Point of the rambling is: if you just want to drive it a bit, just freshen what you have while you decide what you want to do with it, you can always rebuild later if you think it needs it, but so many feel the need to swap in a V-8, you could find another engine to "build" while driving what you have.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for the reply . I have plenty of time to check the engine but for now I was just looking to see what is out there. I did not know there was a problem with the engine until I drove the truck over to get some body work done .the motor kept boging down ,around the shop it would run at a idle but I never run it long enough to get hot and had not put a load on the engine .I plan to run it the way it is I have a lot of work to do before the engine is a real problem. thanks for the reply

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Bogging down isn't likely the engine condition issue, could be a spark (timing issue) or fuel delivery issue. The only time I have seen an internal condition cause bogging problem was when the oil control was so bad that it would oil up the spark plugs and cause a misfire.
Worn out engines will still run fairly good. I've seen a loose timing chain cause a bog, but IHC used gears and they hold the (cam) timing fairly well.
Get the fuel system and ign system up to par before delving into the internals.
Common for the vacuum advance to be stuck (the whole distributor is supposed to move with the advance) or a stuck mechanical advance. Both will cause a bog. So will fuel issues, bad acc pump, lean mixture etc.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:49 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 am

Here's another link for 240 pistons, good price if a guy goes for a rebuild.
Also, Egg machine has pistons and parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NOS-7053-040- ... N~&vxp=mtr

https://egge.com/kit/ihbd240mearly/

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for all the information on the rebuild I have not broke it down as yet I think I will wait and run it some more before I go that far .That is on my L 110 I just got the head back on my R 120 the valves were hard to find got new one out of Calf kinda of pricey got almost more in the head than the cost of the truck thanks again for the replies

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods