1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

Early 50's IHC hot rods

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:54 pm

1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

Just wondering if anyone has done a Steering coulmn upgrade at all on there IHC trucks? I recently have a column out of a 77 Mustang 2 car but want tilt and something a little nicer. Im liking the billett ididit coulmn's. Anyone out there challenged this upgrade at all?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: 1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

I've done Mazda, Nissan, Toyota steering columns in IHC. They all fit but don't look old-timey. Perhaps a different steering wheel and a more art deco "pod" over the upper steering shaft is needed?
Anyway, getting the updated steering column/ brake pedal hanger bracket/ vacuum booster to fit and function correctly on a "hot-rodded", updated old car or truck is one of the hardest things to do, in my opinion. There are few places on a vehicle (outside powertrain) where that much is going on in such a small space.
I personally have not warmed up to aftermarket steering columns. They often look store-bought and "unnatural" in an old vehicle, although I understand why people use them. I'd rather transplant a period column from an appropriate truck or motorhome. Luckily, Central CA has plenty of transplant material.
BTW, there was a large thread on the HAMB awhile ago about Chinese "Ididit-style" steering columns jamming and possibly causing accidents. Don't fall into this group of folks trying to save a buck on a steering column.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 pm

http://www.flamingriver.com/‎ and http://www.ididitinc.com http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ re http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0002 all based on the General Motors Saginaw steering column design. The Saginaw steering column I use have been out of a 1977 GM and Chevy vans and have the key in the dashboard..
This source has dwindled to only a few a year from a time when I was buying up to ten a month. I have about five left and the others have been sold.
The prices I paid was a little a free for a loose one for parts to $150 for a nearly perfect column from a low mileage van. Some small motorhomes have this column. The pickup trucks also use the Saginaw but the under-dash mounting is a little different. This pickup column to steering box parts are easily and safely modified for other application use.
There are some replacement parts, maybe. The usual repair is little more than a good cleaning and retightening the assembly fasteners. NAPA sell a replacement wire harness. I bought a NAPA harness 6 weeks ago.
Another source for the Saginaw column is IHC Scout. Typically the Scout has a floor shift and depending on the year, the column may have the key in the dash or column. Rod at http://scoutpluss.com/steering/ has a Scout steering column for sale on his web-site.
I installed a Saginaw tilt in my R120. I will be installing another Saginaw in our L110 Shorty. If I live long enough I will be using another Saginaw Tilt in my R Crewcab.
The install was easy. Any special mounting parts are available on-line. I make my own parts.
If the column has to be shortened the splines can be recut or the column shaft can be simply milled into the Saginaw Double "D" . ( double "D" is bedrockjon's favorite) http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 2/10002/-1
Do yourself a BIG favour and buy something made in The USA. So not be tricked by price. If you want to save a lot of money on the purchase price and spend a little more in a machine shop check your local auto wrecking yard for steering columns. If the price is right, on the 1977 columns buy them all and resell the extras. this column is a great replacement for the original IH column. There will be some clever machining to adapt to the OEM steering box. I never liked the original difficult steering and changed it out for a Dodge Ram Charger Saginaw power box. It has the correct configuration. A combination of MOOG steering parts make a safe connection from the PS box and the OEM IHC steering arm.
I prefer 4X4 in our Old IHC pickups and the cross steering I like is available from other GM vehicles. The Chevy Malibu has contributed a steering box to serval of my projects.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO CHECK THE ROTATION OF THE SECTOR SHAFT AND THE PITMAN ARM. You do not want to turn the steering wheel to the right and exit stage left. https://youtu.be/Q3-a4qWCtIg
Attachments
R120 dash SW.jpg
R120
drivers view.jpg
Saginaw in a 1940 Ford
steering column lower adapter parts.jpg
my mounting parts
SAGINAW TILT SHIFTER.jpg
in column shift for a Ford C4 automatic
steering_column2.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:56 pm

This is a Saginaw column from a 1977 Chevy Van, modified to fit a 1940 Ford. The steering wheel is a LeCarra Model 40 reproduction.http://www.lecarra.com/ The wheel is two inches smaller diameter than the OEM. The micro-switch on the end of turn signal operates a relay for high and low headlights. The micro-switch on the tilt lever interrupts the ECU signal to a Gear Vendors overdrive relay. http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html
Attachments
SAGINAW TILT 2.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Hey there nikkin! Its been awhile since last chatted. Hopefully your health is better than last time we conversed.
I really like the look of the coloumns you are doing for sure. I currently have a 77 mustang 2 coloumn and booster bracket and mustang rack and pinion steering. Everything does fit nicely,but the column isnt tilt and its bulky and the bottom part of the column is open. I also have a B@M floor shift so id need a column without a shift linkage. Do you know if they made one withe just the signal and tilt at all.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:34 pm

He said: Hey there nikkin! Its been awhile since last chatted. Hopefully your health is better than last time we conversed.
Thanks for your best wishes. This getting old is a lousy reward for a life well wasted. I am still kicking, like my friend MAGIHC says. It takes so much longer to recover from a back injury now that I am 71. I will have to rethink everything I do. I have been retired for 13 years and I appear to have lost much of my "work hardening". I used to lift 200# and never give it a thought, now 30#, lifted incorrectly, sent me into a few weeks of painfully slow recovery. I am the dumb a$$ for not using the lift assist tools I have.
I like the look of the older Saginaw steering columns because they look "older". The Saginaw and the copies of the Saginaw are the favorite of the hot-rod aftermarket, so, most of the universal joints and other steering parts and connectors are made to fit this model. My now deceased friend used a 1990s Saginaw steering column in his 1948 Ford. It never looked right because of all of the pieces added to the column.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm

I definately hear yah! Im 47 and feel like 57. Lol. Arthritic most days. Never mind trying to squeeze myself under a old truck that feels like i do. Ill send you some pics tonight of my column. The more i see your pics im getting excited. I think mines about 30" if i recall. Are the sag columns around the same length?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 pm

I always make our IHC pickups into 4X4. This give our trucks better brakes and parts are readily available and more importantly. the extra ground clearance allows me enough room to crawl under. This is little more that swapping out straight axles for straight axles.
There must be aftermarket parts to allow Ford steering columns to be transplanted.
I do not know if there is a Saginaw column 30 inches long. If the length has to be shortened it is easy enough. If a person has a Miller TIG welder or Miller MIG (wire-feed) cutting a section out of a column and reconnecting the tubes is easy enough. The steering shaft should be taken to a machine shop unless you have a milling machine. Here is a TIP: Do not tell the machine shop your parts are for steering. Some shops will not touch this work because of the liability that comes with failure. I do my own milling, now. I used to say the shaft is for an antique Frazer rototiller final drive. I have two of these and I do not know why.
Attachments
GRAHAM PAGE BEFORE 2.jpg
GRAHAM PAGE FRAZER
COWS WE HERD THAT.jpg
WE HERD THAT

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Nice tiller. Yah thats a good tip for sure. Well ive been on the hunt since you have led me in the right direction my friend.
So you think it would be wise to steer clear of the ididit columns? This isnt a upgrade i can afford to get wrong.Lol!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:36 pm

The mentioned GM tilt columns are Saginaw. The aftermarket is an identical copy. After market could cost hundreds. You may have to pay from free to $50 for a used column. Buy several if the price is really good. A quick cleaning and you make money to pay for your project.
There are literally hundreds of after market steering wheels that fit the GM tilt. You may want to use a Scout wheel.
Take your time and have fun with it.
Next

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods