1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

Early 50's IHC hot rods

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: 1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

Ok. Thanks again. I will do some more deciding. Thanks for info. Cheers!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: 1953 R110 Ididit Steering Column upgrade!!

Hi Frankie53.
I don't check under this heading very often so I am just now seeing your posts and questions. Nikki is correct that many salvage yard columns will work and if that suits your needs, go for it. Since your original question involved aftermarket: ididit, Flamimg River, et. al. columns, I'll report that I ordered my polished stainless column from Flaming River. Primary reason for that was I was looking to have cruise control and the arrangement was better from FR. My column is 32" long and no tilt, though they offer tilt. I didn't think I'd need it and so far have not. I ordered the 32" because I decided that a column too long would be easier to deal with than one too short, since I would be custom fitting the double d shaft to the r&p anyway. (Mustang II IFS with power r&p from Farman Fabrications). My truck turned out a little more up scale than most, so I understand the desire to not go with polished this or that. Personal preferences, etc, etc. I did use a flexible ball mount from FR to hold the bottom end at the firewall and the location necessitated I patch the original column hole in the firewall. If you are still on the fence, I can post photos of that process if you'd like.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
Previous

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods