Head work on BD motors

Early 50's IHC hot rods

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu May 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Head work on BD motors

Has anyone ever approached the heads on SD and BD/BG motors from a performance standpoint? How much larger could the valves go? I'm still trying to hunt down a BD264/BG265 to go back in my S160, but I'll probably go through the motor before dropping it in.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 27, 2021 9:34 pm

Re: Head work on BD motors

Kevin, on this forum did successfully turbocharge hot IH. I hope he sees this and responds.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=228&hilit=turbo
A turbocharger will really wake up that motor.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 pm

It's not crazy expensive either.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 28, 2021 10:58 am

Well it was fun with the induction stuff, had to try it. I see my 1st post was 12/14. 2012. I recall I picked it up in April or May 2012, the site was hacked into, so a lot of posted were lost. Thanks to the help from the guys here CB, Nikki etc. Had it running great over the years, just got to old to play with the truck anymore. I recall a post that were lost, Nikki suggested to try Hamilton FI. Guess I was to lazy to rewire the truck. The reason I bring this up is the guy I sold it to did Hamilton FI. I have been in touch with him, and sounds like that's the only way to go. No pullin the choke, jump in hit the key. I do have some pics of his install will not post without his ok. He does get on the site sometimes. I can ask him if anyone is interested.
If I was able to do it again, that's what I would do.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 28, 2021 12:06 pm

I like EFI. A good system is always correct. A carburetor is only at its best when it is set correctly. A carburetor is a complicated device that very few understand. If the atmospheric pressure changes, the carburetor will not run the way is was originally set. Atmospheric pressure can be as simple as an altitude change.
The HAMILTON system uses all GM/DELPHI components modified to compliment a new installation. The Hamilton system, on its own, will improve all around performance, fuel economy and starting.
http://www.hamiltonfuelinjection.com/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat May 29, 2021 11:36 am

kevin wrote:Well it was fun with the induction stuff, had to try it. I see my 1st post was 12/14. 2012. I recall I picked it up in April or May 2012, the site was hacked into, so a lot of posted were lost. Thanks to the help from the guys here CB, Nikki etc. Had it running great over the years, just got to old to play with the truck anymore. I recall a post that were lost, Nikki suggested to try Hamilton FI. Guess I was to lazy to rewire the truck. The reason I bring this up is the guy I sold it to did Hamilton FI. I have been in touch with him, and sounds like that's the only way to go. No pullin the choke, jump in hit the key. I do have some pics of his install will not post without his ok. He does get on the site sometimes. I can ask him if anyone is interested.
If I was able to do it again, that's what I would do.

I'd be interested to hear how he's doing with it. TBI is a pretty simple setup and fairly robust. But the turbo with the carb I'd be most interested in how it's been doing for him.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:04 am

Been gone, I was looking up some other info. On the one I had, actually got it 2011, not 2012. Took some time to get it right, did keep updating as time went on. The Daytona carb did help, the VB and AFR gauges was a plus. The CB did helped me with Power valve one way and another guy did it another way. Posts pic attached. I bet it was a year or so to get it close.
One thing I was trying to hunt down was a 152 turbo distributor, no luck there. I guess its a plus to have a distributor that retards under boost. The distributor guy told me you find one he would make it fit. It's to bad someone bought photo bucket, had some good vids on there. One time I pulled a skid steer and trailer bout 5 or 6 miles. My friend lost his clutch.The turbo or engine didn't like that. Probably the 3.54 gear. Oh memory is not what it use to be. I know on the turbo description says 87 octane fuel. No way. I used 93 no knocks, if out of town, premium fuel.
Some of the tractors guys like, some don't. I will try and find that vid. I will send the guy I sold it to an email.
Anyway I guess that's it for now.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9290&p=70882&hilit=turbo#p70882
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9011&hilit=turbo
Also
As CB stated, it generally is used to reduce/eliminate detonation. It does add oxygen to the mix; so theoretically, should help power and mileage.

Had a friend that installed one. The water reservoir was sufficiently small, it probably was out of water as much as having water. Couldn't tell any different with/without; but I had modified the carburetor specifically for the tune of his engine.

Oldsmobile had an alcohol/water injection system on the Jetfire (turbo) to eliminate detonation. It was so successful ;) that Ford used a boost sensor and distributor retard on the turbo Mustangs.
Attachments
PV-2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:12 am

I would like to hear CBs take on a turbo S160.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:42 pm

go to youtube type in 450 FARMALL TURBO PART 2

Watch the whole vid he is not happy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:43 pm

kevin wrote:I would like to hear CBs take on a turbo S160.

My take is:
You have to careful select and match the turbo to the engine. It takes a lot of math and reading of turbo maps. You can go with something someone has done the math for you, but his (or her) choices might not match your operational conditions.
A system that is designed to produce all its boost at 3000 RPM might not be a good match for a heavier truck.
I once was working on a turbo plan for a Dodge 225, I want boost to come in at 1900 and max out around 2600. Even in that narrow band it was suggested that I might have to try two or three different turbine housings to get results I wanted. Even using a wastegate for speeds above 2600, dialing in a turbo takes a lot of work.
The same engine used in a tractor is going to see different operating conditions than a motor vehicle. That is not to say a turbo designed for a tractor service might not be a bad fit on a motor vehicle.
As the weight of a vehicle goes up the less forgiving it is of a mis match.
Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods