Frame Swap

If it is 1940 or older, then this is the place to talk about that hot rod.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Frame Swap

Another member is inquiring about these. They are not "quickies".
Some high points:
Mine have taken close to five months (after work, weekends) to get streetable. 400 hours is a conservative number.
If your fabrication skills outstrip mine (extremely possible) then your automotive thinking skills probably don't? There's a LOT of imaginative thought in these conversions. Different from resto or hot-rodding. Old mechanics rule!
Nothing says any particular "modern" donor will work with any particular antique truck. You have to discover that for yourself, unless the swap has been done over and over. For example, "thin fender" old, old trucks (1920s, early 1930s) do NOT jive with an S-10. "Fat fender" trucks (1930s on) can hide a "multitude of sins".
Done smartly, there are very few out of pocket expenses other than consumables. You use up what's been presented to you.
You DO however have to have TWO donor vehicles. ONE for sheetmetal, one for electrics and drivetrain.
There are a few "bottlenecks" in this conversion, in my opinion:
Getting front wheels to center in front fenders (don't forget that the grille hangs lower than the front crossmember and is limited in position).
Trying to squeeze brake booster/steering wheel/steering column/ pedal hanger in a firewall area much narrower than the donor firewall.
Locating new radiator support bracket and sectioning radiator support appropriately.
An "easy" aspect is that donor wiring harness just plugs in.
My experience has been that these conversions drive like new trucks. I've driven to Southern California in them on "those" freeways and have had a blast. People try to buy your truck at 70mph!
Attachments
image.jpg
IHC D-2 will fit on 1960s Stude pickup frame.
image.jpg
Most useful conversion, ever. D-2 (D-35 sheetmetal) on 1995 Toyota Tacoma
image.jpg
Probably my best-looking conversion. 1940s Dodge pickup on 1987 Mazda B2000

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Frame Swap

More conversion pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
Another W Series Dodge pickup on Mazda frame shot.
image.jpg
Had to move Stude V-8 backwards to fit D-2 layout.
image.jpg
Look how nice D-2 cab straddles the Stude frame!
image.jpg
My first full-blown frame swap. D-2 on 2000 Nissan Frontier. Drove like a dream.
image.jpg
Essentially a 1936 IHC C series cab channeled over a 1970s IHC Scout frame. (It's boxed).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm

More pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
Outstanding runner.
image.jpg
Tacoma 4 cylinder in D-2 is a tight fit. No kidding.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Monsonmotors, I read your post several times. I like your workmanship. You make what you do with a frame swap look easy because you have hears of experience and the recourses.
As you know, I am not a frame swap person. I like to use and OEM frame when ever possible. I had to scrap two frames because of sever cracking. The cracks had gone far enough to connect and pieces of the frame had fallen away.
I, like IHC of old, do not think a pickup frame must be totally ridged and this is something I keep in mind when modifying an old IHC frame. How to weld and where to start and finish a weld is very important. Boxing a frame is more than hacking up some scrap and bird shyte welding the scrap onto the frame. Boxing plate design is very important. If this is not done properly the frame will crack and break where if the weld ends where is should not.
There are more answers to the frame swap situation than the questions that never get asked. Try to remember that any forum is a source for sometimes handy tips often from amateurs. A forum is not an apprenticeship.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Your work is the gold standard around here, Nikki. But thanks!
I guess what I would say is that there are no apprenticeships that I'm aware of in the US for mechanics. I've never heard of one. You just show up and get your azz kicked for XX years and hopefully learn something. You grew up in a shop. I did not. As much as I love this stuff I had to wade in "late" and learn things at 30 that I should've known at 14.
FEAR is such an unreasonable component of life today that I would say "go slow, ask lots of questions, and proceed with your frame swap".
I look at it that driving a stockish 60 year old truck on today's roads is as unsafe as any possible badly done frame swap. These new vehicles ZIP. Our old, stock trucks CRAWL. Not a good combo.
As always, I'm against cutting up or substantially modifying anything old that's NICE or incredibly complete. I use pieces of things that I have, usually.
I just processed your "boxed" comments. If you are referring to the Scout frame it came boxed from the factory. That's why I used it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm

I am not familiar with your Scout frame and any boxing done to it.
The picture is of some amateur welding and boxing for an M2 IFS. This is dangerous stuff.
Attachments
BIRD SHIT WELDING FOR M2 IFS.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to The Classic Hot Rod