Interbaker

If it is 1940 or older, then this is the place to talk about that hot rod.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Re: Interbaker

I had to pause on the extra-curricular activities after work to chop weeds. Lots of them. We were an extreme fire hazard here. I've got most of it taken care of, now.
I made a template out of cardboard so I can test fit before committing to metal. I purchased made-up
universal HD weld on caliper brackets online. Summit. Or Speedway. Inexpensive!
Once the spindle adaptors fit I will space and shim as necessary to make GM big D-52 calipers fit as they should.
Attachments
image.jpg
Big GM D-52 pickup and big car calipers. Very common. All the same but different--brake hose and piston diameters change a bit.
image.jpg
Round to cover the exposed space backside of rotor. Complete dust shield may be next...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Guys, summer has been a bust production-wise on old trucks. I spent approximately two months doing yardwork which then gave me pneumonia from the amount of dust I inhaled (despite wearing a dust mask). It has also been very hot. A couple of weeks or more close to 110F.
My stubborness on building the Interbaker front disc brakes has given way to buying "Turners Studebaker Truck Disc Brake Kit". I bought the kit minus the rotors and calipers. $200ish. I get the rotors and calipers at cost. Turns out I was very close on rotors. I bought 1977 Buick full size, the kit calls for 1977 Cadillac rotors. They are Identical as far as I can see.
The kit calls for full-size GM calipers which I had sourced already.
My entire fear in the first place that Stude wheels might not fit over the rotors and calipers was unfounded. Turns out there''s only LIGHT dragging. A grinder will fix that!
Those wheels are too cool NOT to use.
NOW I can finally move on to wiring on the Stude.
These disc brakes are the stock big boy 12" brakes that came on Chevy pickup and Cadillac. Lots of stopping power.
Attachments
image.jpg
Better photo coming in the daylight.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Better pics of "Turners Studebaker Truck Disc Brakes".
1977 Buick / Cadillac rotors. 5x5 patrern. D-52 full size GM calipers.
Pretty exciting to see under a D-2. OK, it has a Stude truck frame.
Attachments
image.jpg
Look familiar? D-2 stuff fits OK on Stude after moving engine back.
image.jpg
12" rotors.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:30 pm

I mentioned before that I bent the stock Stude Champ pickup steering column while removing Stude cab from frame. It was a stupid mistake. I have to say that taking this Stude apart was difficult, though.
Now I'm left with straightening the bent steering shaft (I cut it in disgust to get cab off), using another steering column/box, or changing to floor shifter and sectioning stock Stude column and steering shaft.
For now, I'll do the latter. It appears that the steering shaft suddenly gets straight about 2" from steering box input retainer surface. So I cut the dude, again. :)
I'll source an input shaft seal. This setup never had one, the column fit over the collar on the box.
I sectioned the collar, too.
I have a Borgeson u joint which I may or may not use. Believe it or not steering is very close to stock location on the IHC D-2.
BTW, a wheelbarrow bearing stuffed into the end of the hacked-off steering column immediately gives you a supported stub to attach a steering u joint to.
Attachments
image.jpg
Bent piece of steering shaft that I hacked off.
image.jpg
The result of my second hacking. Bent piece of shaft is gone and shortened collar is shown. I'll find a seal to close up input shaft area.
image.jpg
Sectioned piece of sterring box to column collar. I had to section in order to have room for U joint.
image.jpg
Crumpled and cut-off end of Stude steering column. I'll hack off shift arms, too. Maybe.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:18 am

Today's challenge is installing STEERING. As I said, I screwed up Stude steering column taking things apart. Mea Culpa.
I have this cool Winnebago/ Dodge column. What do you think? I think it's pretty.
It will have to be shortened and have a bearing installed in the end.
Attachments
image.jpg
I collect steering columns...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:36 am

Here's the usual CRUNCH. Steering, brakes and clutch all inhabit a small area and must coexist. Of all the things I deal with in modifying things THIS is the hardest to figure out and get right.
This D-2 was modified long ago with Ford steering column and RAMBLER engine, trans. That makes TWO D-2s I've owned with Rambler sixes in them. Funny! Both firewalls got slaughtered. Oh,well.
I didn't do that!
So...I'm going to remove Ford (my guess) clutch and brake m/c assemblies AND cool old pedal hanger assy WITH pedals.
My plan is to install vintage Winnebago steering column and reuse Stude frame-mounted pedals. THAT will take quite a bit of modifying since I moved engine back.
However, I have NO D-2 hood. So I'm going to run my Stude V-8 out where it can be seen and mis-identified. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Oh..so close to fitting! It's coming out!
image.jpg
Oldie M/Cs...Ford? Looks like my 1958 Ford stuff..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Gonna cover up a few firewall holes.
Attachments
image.jpg
What would we do without extra holes in the firewall?
image.jpg
Hanger/ pedals/ m/c assembly will get reused on another project.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Guys, I need help here. BRJ?
I've owned several D-2s with floor shifts. I've never owned an IHC with column shift.
Is THIS an IHC D-2 column shift column with a Ford steering wheel? Honestly, I wouldn't know.
It has a Ross box. Came out of my highly modified D-2 SWB with old Rambler six cylinder, added on firewall-mounted clutch and brake hydraulics. I assumed column was swapped, too.

I don't want to screw it up. I was going to cut column off it. Worth saving if it's a stock D-2 column shift?
I have non-shift D-2 columns, already.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm bumping this one back up. Does anyone recognize this as IHC column shift column? It has a Ford wheel on it. It came from a very modified D-2. I thought it was Ford. Is it IHC?
Anybody recognize it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:22 pm

I am following your progress. It was starting to look like you were talking to yourself.
I'm chasing some electric "loose" ends. We are having a California day, today.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
PreviousNext

Return to The Classic Hot Rod