Interbaker

If it is 1940 or older, then this is the place to talk about that hot rod.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Interbaker

Nikki, I've been told that transplanting an XK 6 cyl. is quite a chore. I've thought about it, too!
I KNOW that half the engine would be in your lap! I'm certainly game. I see quite a few of the later 6 cylinder sedans in the wrecking yards. We a have a local guy that specializes in restoring them. Smith Auto in Dinuba does all the heavy engine work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 5:16 pm

I got first try on Interbaker front rotors. They are GM G Van five on five (same bolt pattern as Studebaker Pickup). It takes Stude (or G van wheel bearings, whichever--same thing).
I want to use stock Stude disc wheels. Quite the dilemma!
More to come!
Attachments
image.jpg
Run of the mill bearings will make this an easy swap if everything works out.
image.jpg
Right pattern and will accept "Stude" bearings! Great start!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 6:23 pm

I know less than 75% about the length, weight and height of the old Jaguar engine. The dementions and weight must be less than a Cummins 6bta. I am 100 % sure a Cummins 24 valve transplant will fit L and R pickups and clear the body.
If I live long enough, we will have a Cummins powered R crewcab
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 am

Monsonmotors wrote:Speaking of tow trucks...saw a really cool curved boom Diamond T on American Pickers.
Looked like this, unrestored though:

Don, in my shop I have an old calendar with that Diamond T on it, same photo! My all time favorite truck. We have so many similar tastes, maybe separated at birth? LOL!
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Rod, the owner of Scout Pluss in Hope BC had two of those Diamond T pickups in his storage.
Those DT are such a beautiful truck. Am I correct in thinking that IHC and DT got together?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I know less than 75% about the length, weight and height of the old Jaguar engine. The dementions and weight must be less than a Cummins 6bta. I am 100 % sure a Cummins 24 valve transplant will fit L and R pickups and clear the body.
If I live long enough, we will have a Cummins powered R crewcab

The XK motor is about 32" long (with fan), 23" wide (8"DS/15"PS), 29" deep (nothing on top of cam covers). Don't know what it weighs, but there is lots of aluminum (covers, head, intake, bell housing). Power shouldn't be a problem, it's rated at 160hp/195lbft. I too would love to put a cummins in one of my trucks, maybe replace the boat anchor 360 in this one:
Attachments
69Highboy.JPG
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 11, 2016 1:49 pm

I had a Ford just like that one. The 360 was a gas hog and only slightly better for our other F350 with a 460. We drove them both to the Ford wrecker and got $900 for each of them. That was 20+ years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm

I can tell you from the smog end of things that the Ford FE tended to be a dirty motor. 352/360/390. That and it's cousin, the M version of the Ford Cleveland V-8. 5.8l/6.6l.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 11, 2016 2:42 pm

We installed a 6.9 Diesel in our R120. That engine was struggling to pass the emissions test even with new injectors and a rebuilt pump. The final failure and the oil leaks made me take it out of service. I could have paid for a conditional pass and I chose not to.
Our smog testing is gone, now . The Government stopped the test about 1 year ago.
The off-the-street persons who worked at the smog test were over paid and always angry about something.
I was failed one year because the angry female said I had removed the fuel filler nozzle restrictor. One year, I hung a piece of 4 inch exhaust tube out the back, the test was run on the blank tube and the R passed.
Our smog test was such a joke. Our 1940 Ford failed. I had to appeal to a higher authority to get an appropriate test standard for vehicles over 50 years old. The test program adopted a test from Michigan from the 1950s..
I did a complete tune up on the Ford and set up the distributor on an Allen distributor machine. Smaller jets and the car passed The exhaust pipe colour was tan.
A year later, we started the total rebuild.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed May 11, 2016 3:41 pm

I know that there are issues with Smog in some areas, and it is bad. My position is not as popular with folks, but here it is.
Safety Inspection. Oh, and if a vehicle smokes real bad, That is a safety issue. Way to many vehicles on the road that have bad/no brakes to speak of, Poorly tuned, Broken windshields, rust thru in Important spots. My personal feelings is safety is a more important issue than smog testing, especially on vehicles that are only a few years old.
I know, I know, it is just me.
PreviousNext

Return to The Classic Hot Rod