Mustang II Drop Spindles or Stock

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am

Mustang II Drop Spindles or Stock

I'm looking at putting a Fatman IFS on my KB1 and read somewhere on this site that a person should stay away from the drop spindles as it leaves your front fenders only a few inches off the ground. There seem to be a lot of guys who have used aftermarket Mustang II kits here and especially the Fatman IFS. My question is, did you use the stock spindles or the 2" drop spindles and were you happy with the outcome?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Mustang II Drop Spindles or Stock

I can only speak to the arrangement that I installed on my L. I’m not sure about what impact the MII would have regarding a KB model.
I used standard spindles from the Fatman Fabrications MII offering. I ordered the Stage 5 version they offer and got the Shockwave air ride system. If I had ordered the dropped spindles, the front fenders likely would have ended up on the ground, especially when I let the air out at car shows. I call that going to “parade rest”. Without the air ride function, dropped spindles would have placed the bottom edge of the fender only a few inches off the ground. A permanent condition, I find detrimental to preserving the fenders, especially if the truck will be seeing much road time. If, on the other hand, you are building a strictly show only vehicle, it will give you that “slammed” look and the only hazard you’ll need to watch out for is scrapping the fenders when you load it on/in a trailer.
The bottom line, from me, is it’s your money. Spend it how you want, but for me, I stayed away from the dropped spindles.
(Also, with the very low clearance, when you’re doing maintenance chores to your truck, the lower it sits, the harder it is to get a jack under it or get it on a lift.)(If you need to see my truck as it sits at “parade rest”, go to: http://www.CruiseNewsOnline.com. Look into the Featureed Cars section, 1951 International pickup.)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Wow, that is one fine looking ride. You're right, going with the drop spindles would create a lot of sparks as you cruised down the road. Mine is going to be a cruiser so probably going to see some road time...and dips in the road.

Great information. Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 am

If I had it to do over, knowing what I do now, I’d not invest in the air ride system. Yes it’s cool to watch people’s faces when you drop it down at shows, but I’ve found it disheartening that the system leaks down when I don’t drive it. If it were a daily driver, it’d stay pumped up - albeit still leaking. If I wanted to correct it, I’d go with the coil over shock arrangement and get the adjustable shocks. I’ve tried to find the leaks, but I think it is leaking back through the solenoid valves and not out of connections or joints. Valves are expensive and are “ganged together”. Replacing them is difficult since all the mechanical workings are hidden up under the truck. Other owners who have air ride systems have told me they’ve had the same problem. “You either live with it or you remove the system”, I’ve been told. I paid a lot for the system and replacing it would be expensive as well, so I’ll live with it and continue to watch heads turn when it goes to “parade rest”!
(And in case anyone doesn’t know, I will not drive the truck with the air out of the Shock Waves. The truck is basically sitting with the suspension bottomed out (frame down on the suspension). It would cause all sorts of problems for steering and is way too close to the ground to clear anything bigger than a golf ball. The system is wired to raise back up when I turn the ignition key on. The aggrevating thing is that when its been sitting for several days, it takes 10 - 15 minutes for the compressor to build enough pressure to raise the truck.)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am

I have airsprings in my Ford. I had the same system in my R120. The Ford has a single Holland Neway leveling valve in the front and two valves in the back. The leveling valves are linked to the suspension. The valves are under a $100 each at Kenworth Trucks.
The Ford loses front air in a few hours, the rear suspension will hold air indefinitely.
The R120 held pressure for years.
I can dump the suspension air and keep the air in the tank.
So, I'm not going to fix the leak because it is difficult to reach and only noticeable when parked. I added an in line Schrader valve so the suspension air tank can be filled from the shop air. It takes about 20 seconds to fill.
The parts for the Ford suspension cost just under $1000cdn versus nearly $4000cdn for the electronic over air system.
I copied the air suspension used on the commercial vehicles I was familiar with.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm more concerned with my truck going horizontal not vertical. lol

Took my cab off last night and discovered that my chassis is a little messed up. When you look down the top of the rails, they bow about 1/2" in the middle, probably from hauling too much in the bed and bouncing down the road with it. Tried to attach a picture but not sure it worked. Also, taking cross measurements, everything is ok front to back, except the measurement from the very front of the chassis to the transmission crossmember is 7/8" off from one side to the other. Which probably means it's about 1/2" off to one side. Will a Mustang II kit help correct this to a certain degree or am I going to have to get it back to exact?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Side View.jpg
ok. Figured out how to post the picture. I've seen others that look like this too. Looks like a sway back horse.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Have seen that on newer trucks also, Too much weight for what it was rated.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 pm

The gal I bought it from said her and her father mainly used it for hauling loads of wood from the mountains of WY back in the early 70's. That should have been my first warning light. When I initially bought it, I thought maybe I could just shim the cab and bed to where they need to be or add washers, but I think that bend may create unforeseen issues down the road. Time to break out the timbers, chains and bottle jacks. :-)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Maybe it is time to take your truck to a proper frame shop and have a certified repair done. I cannot imagine the cost to more than a few hundred bucks. The professional frame guy will be able to tell you if the frame is in need of extra repairs after the straightening.
I was going to post some pictures of the air spring suspension I built from off the shelf parts, but this will be unnecessary, as I see it, now.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB