Bed is done, rear fender bodywork next

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Bed is done, rear fender bodywork next

Here are some pics of the completed bed. A couple of pics of where the gas filler is and the exhaust bezels in the roll pan..that is not rolled, only bent..a bent pan. The tailgate and all wiring is connected and done as well.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AhEAPsHVBZxHwskq6

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: Bed is done, rear fender bodywork next

Hat's off to you, Bob, great job on the bed. You said you had some ideas in store and you sure did pull out the stops. That has to be one of, if not the most unique bed I've seen. The floor is killer, is it painted steel? Looks a mile deep. I've not seen a fuel fill like that either. Very, very well done!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Hat's off to you, Bob, great job on the bed. You said you had some ideas in store and you sure did pull out the stops. That has to be one of, if not the most unique bed I've seen. The floor is killer, is it painted steel? Looks a mile deep. I've not seen a fuel fill like that either. Very, very well done!

MACGIVER, I can always count on you to give me a big encouragement push that I need to keep moving! Thank you for the compliments.
The floor is steel, plug welded to a 1-1/4" square tube frame, deck is painted and the strips are 5/8" half round stainless steel.
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Ok, the floor /paint has an interesting depth to it, really nice. Geez, the finish line is now in sight. I remember how good that feels after all that work. Almost there !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:12 am

I have just fallen in love with a bed. Absolutely amazing, puts my tail gate to shame. How did you attached the half round stainless steel to the bed and tailgate? Also if i may ask what paint did you use? Is it base coat and clear or 2 pac? Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:56 am

harvester60 wrote:I have just fallen in love with a bed. Absolutely amazing, puts my tailgate to shame. How did you attached the half round stainless steel to the bed and tailgate? Also if i may ask what paint did you use? Is it base coat and clear or 2 pac? Luke

Thank you Luke!
The tailgate was pretty complex, as you can imagine, but I wanted a functioning gate even though I lost a few inches in bed depth due to the Dakota chassis. The style was gleaned from a tailgate I saw on a 57 pickup that won the Riddler Award in 2013. It makes mine look amateurish, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I didn't want to recreate it so, my tailgate is some them, some me and some my son who is an artist that also suggested the bead roll shape to match the rear window on the cab and style of the side window surrounds. The IH big truck guys will recognize the center emblem and the lights, 50 Pontiac. I'll add a pic below of the 57 Chevy and you will see what I mean about falling in love.

The stainless is bolted through the metal deck. I drilled the bottom side of the SS with a hole that was slightly smaller than the 1/4 -20 SS bolts. Then used a dremmel with a cut off blade to make a !/8" wide cross cut on the hole that once the bolt was driven in a short depth, I was left with a indentation on both sides of the bolt for a spot weld to fill. Once spot welded, I used the dremmel to cut away the top of the weld so the 1/2 round was flat around the bolt. Then I cut off the bolt head leaving a stud. I hope that is clear. A lot of work but once I got started it went fast.

I wanted my paint to not be super glossy as in 2 stage base/clear, and something I could easily touch up. I used a single stage with hardener and color sanded after. It came from Tri City Paint or TCP Global Championship White and Jet Black. Not being an expert painter, the learning curve was big and I have learned to touch up and blend as well as a pro. lol
57chevpu-5.jpg

TAILGATE DONE 013.JPG

TAILGATE DONE 011.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:24 am

Great job captainbob!! I like the progress and results you’ve made. Excellent!!
I am intrigued by the tailgate latching mechanisms you incorporated. I can’t tell from the photos just how they work, but what I can see resembles the way a garage door latch works. Can you elaborate some on the form and function going on with that?
The tailgate my son and I built pales in comparison to what you designed and built and I thought we had accomplished quite a feat! Bravo‼️
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 am

WEW51L110 wrote:Great job captainbob!! I like the progress and results you’ve made. Excellent!!
I am intrigued by the tailgate latching mechanisms you incorporated. I can’t tell from the photos just how they work, but what I can see resembles the way a garage door latch works. Can you elaborate some on the form and function going on with that?
The tailgate my son and I built pales in comparison to what you designed and built and I thought we had accomplished quite a feat! Bravo‼️

Thank you so much for the compliments! Being brave enough..or poor enough in my case to attempt making a functioning tailgate, is a feat in itself. Be proud of your accomplishment! There are a lot of us running around looking for any old one, but I could never find or afford one.

It does work like a garage door. The actual latch on the ends are 1993-2011 Ford Ranger latches and strikers. The hinges are GM and the tailgate lifts off like any truck. The tail lights wiring has a connector that can be unplugged to completely remove the tailgate. The actuator in the center is a part I made using a round plate with holes in the outer edge to pull the latch. The rods are retained using auto door lock rod clips. The latches are spring loaded and return by themselves. The handle is just a chrome L handle with a 1/4" square bore. It can be removed and the shaft is recessed inside. (Locking tailgate for cheap, lol) I made the square end on my custom part and it attaches with a set screw. I like it on the inside out of view.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:12 am

WEW51L110 wrote:Great job captainbob!! I like the progress and results you’ve made. Excellent!!

latch.jpg

latch2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 am

I think you just made the next guy building a tailgate very happy!!!

Just goes to show that all that’s needed is an idea, some skills, materials and viola!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB