Bed is done, rear fender bodywork next

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Bed is done, rear fender bodywork next

WEW51L110 wrote:I think you just made the next guy building a tailgate very happy!!!

Just goes to show that all that’s needed is an idea, some skills, materials and viola!

That's true! and you can learn along the way, if you just try and don't give up. I've done things twice and three times before getting it done, but I don't give up.
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 am

I see what you mean about falling in love at the Riddler show....stunning, however i think you tailgate is far from amateurish. The fact you made the tail gate in 2 halfs and then welded and got it as flat as you did....well i take my hat off to you. I was a welder by trade, but i have had a change in career and have not done it now for 11 years.

i understand how you made the half round ss, a lot of work, but so worth it.

How did you get the oblong impression into the tail gate? was that made for you or do you have the tooling to do it yourself?

I made a tailgate myself as well, but a lot more simple. I wanted it to look more like the original, but did not have the money to get the impressions done. So what i ended up doing was to flood weld pieces of steel to it, to give the impression that it had be pressed in. I was not over bothered by having a functioning tailgate, so mine was just bolted shut.

I only heard about the riddler show about a year or so ago. (I live in the uk). My dream show to go to would be the SEMA show in Vegas, but found out its not open to the public. One day maybe i will get to a riddler show.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming. Your truck will be nothing short of stunning. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 am

harvester60 wrote:I see what you mean about falling in love at the Riddler show....stunning, however i think you tailgate is far from amateurish. The fact you made the tail gate in 2 halfs and then welded and got it as flat as you did....well i take my hat off to you. I was a welder by trade, but i have had a change in career and have not done it now for 11 years.

i understand how you made the half round ss, a lot of work, but so worth it.

How did you get the oblong impression into the tail gate? was that made for you or do you have the tooling to do it yourself?

I made a tailgate myself as well, but a lot more simple. I wanted it to look more like the original, but did not have the money to get the impressions done. So what i ended up doing was to flood weld pieces of steel to it, to give the impression that it had be pressed in. I was not over bothered by having a functioning tailgate, so mine was just bolted shut.

I only heard about the riddler show about a year or so ago. (I live in the uk). My dream show to go to would be the SEMA show in Vegas, but found out its not open to the public. One day maybe i will get to a riddler show.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming. Your truck will be nothing short of stunning. Luke

Thank you Luke for all the kind words! Just to correct, I did not attend the show, I saw the truck on the internet that won the award and loved the tailgate.
Bob
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB