1948 Seat

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

1948 Seat

What would I be looking for ? Need a seat for my 48 KB1. Anyone out their put a late model bench seat in their KB & what did it come out of ?

Thanks

Lefty 1948

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: 1948 Seat

Look to a third row seat out of a mini van perhaps

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I agree if your looking for a bench seat. Use your tape measure so you know the size of the space you’re trying to fill. Allow a couple inches clearance on the ends. It’d be bad to install the seat and find out you can’t close the doors. If you have a floor shifter, know the space from the back wall to a safe clearance to it. Pay attention to how much curvature the back wall has and know most back seats don’t have curvature to them, but there may be some lean back. If you plan to have usable space behind the seat, consider how you’ll access it.
When I was looking for seats to put in my L, I had to pay close attention to the front to back dimensions to insure that there is enough space to swing legs to make an exit without banging your knees into the door opening. For a variety of reasons I was looking for bucket seats. Ended up with front seats from a 2002 BMW 330i. Satisfied nearly all of the requirements. I did need to eliminate the head rests so I could see out the back windows. Had to add 1.5” sq. tubing under the seat frames for adequate height.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm

The width of my KB1 cab is about 53" on the inside, which doesn't leave you a lot of options for a bench seat. As Ibesq said, rear minivan seat might work. I thought I'd found the perfect seat in the second row of a Grand Cherokee. Would have been perfect but was about 3" too wide. Ended up going with bench seats out of a 2012 Chevy Cruze. You have to be aware of the height of the seat. If it's over 12" you're going to have a hard time getting in and out without taking out your knee caps on the door jam or steering column. Just not a lot of room in these cabs for a 6'4" frame.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Oops. Meant to say that I used the bucket seats out of the Cruze. They're pretty thick cushioned, which will be comfortable but doesn't leave you much room to recline the seats or belly space to the steering wheel. Becomes a toss up between comfort and function.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:14 am

Lefty1946 wrote:What would I be looking for ? Need a seat for my 48 KB1. Anyone out their put a late model bench seat in their KB & what did it come out of ?

Thanks

Lefty 1948

Vic, the problem with any other seat is leg room and back position. I used the third row seat from a Chrysler Town & Country wagon because I wanted an arm rest. It is the perfect length at 48 inches. Here is what that created...

1. lack of leg room to operate the clutch on my manual trans truck and caused my knees to be up at an awkward angle to my hips..uncomfortable.
2. The back of the seat has to be straight up, which is not comfortable for any distance.
3. I mounted the track on the bottom of the seat metal brackets...that worked out great and the seat slides fine, but only a midget would need it any closer to the wheel.
4. I lost any use of the tilt wheel, other than one lower position. Any other positions put it too low to use between my knees.
5. The armrest is almost useless unless you position yourself against the door.

To alleviate some of the discomfort, I ended up raising the seat 3 inches. That changed the position of my knees in relation to my hips and made it much more comfortable. Plenty of headroom, helped with the rearview mirror and I still have a good view all around. I also doubled up the springs in the bottom even though the seat was originally like new. That kept the seat bottom from going down when I put my 225 lbs on it...I think it was sprung for kids. The rest of the issues above still exist and I did have to bend the gear shift shaft on my AX15 5 speed Jeep/Dodge trans to clear the seat when I raised it.

If I were to do it over again...I would probably keep the original seat, because the seat back is thin and against the rear wall giving more leg room to the pedals. I don't understand how it would feel if the seat bottom were slid forward with the back being not movable though. I didn't try that out when I had my old seat and besides, it was so beaten down, you could hardly sit on it. I wish I had considered leg room then.

My pedal assemblies are not the original so I think they might be more toward the seat than the original ones were. I did not measure or consider at the time.
So, if you can, measure, test, consider keeping the original seat or make plans better than I did. I don't think the old seat would have been any more comfortable on long excursions. I am 5'-11"..pity anyone taller than me driving these trucks. lol
Pictures are of the seat recovered to appear more like buckets and a custom headrest.
Second one is showing the side view of after I raised it 3 inches.
Bob
8-9-13 seat finished 002.JPG

a 001.JPG

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm

I have to say, Bob, comfortable or not, those are the sweetest IHC seats I've seen in any rebuild yet. Love the headrests.

Being tall is not always an advantage. Fortunately, my truck will be an automatic, so less lifting the leg to the clutch, but I'm sure my sciatic nerve will still be screaming at me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm

SDBinder wrote:I have to say, Bob, comfortable or not, those are the sweetest IHC seats I've seen in any rebuild yet. Love the headrests.

Being tall is not always an advantage. Fortunately, my truck will be an automatic, so less lifting the leg to the clutch, but I'm sure my sciatic nerve will still be screaming at me.

Thank you for the kind words! I always wish I was taller when I can't reach something..or an over 6ft beautiful woman passes! lol Dad was 6-4" mom at 94, is 5-0"...I didn't stand a chance. My two sons ended up over 6ft and my 4 girls are almost as tall as me.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm

I can sit on the floor and still see out the windows so once I get the seats in, I may look like Jaws in the little car from that James Bond movie. Ha, ha.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 pm

SDBinder wrote:I can sit on the floor and still see out the windows so once I get the seats in, I may look like Jaws in the little car from that James Bond movie. Ha, ha.

Too funny...but you will save money if you don't need a seat! lol

Return to The Modified K-KB