Update, custom bed being built.

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 am

Re: Update, custom bed being built.

I built a similar box for my current project last year. I like the gas tank filler neck idea. I still have to figure out what design I want to bead roll in the tailgate. I have the tailgate frame made but need to skin it with sheet metal. Your tailgate looks great and gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 am

Incredible job, Bob. Ambitious project to build a bed from scratch and you pulled it off with great results. That gate gives me that custom "50's vibe". Congrats !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 am

Duane WI wrote:I built a similar box for my current project last year. I like the gas tank filler neck idea. I still have to figure out what design I want to bead roll in the tailgate. I have the tailgate frame made but need to skin it with sheet metal. Your tailgate looks great and gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Duane, I thought long and hard about what to do with the tailgate and until it's painted, I won't be 100% with the decisions I made. That fine line of too little-too much is always on my mind. I can always adjust! lol

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 am

MACGIVER wrote:Incredible job, Bob. Ambitious project to build a bed from scratch and you pulled it off with great results. That gate gives me that custom "50's vibe". Congrats !

Thanks MACGIVER, my retirement income did not include the funds needed to purchase a new custom bed, but did provide the raw materials to build one! So the decision was an easy one, lol. Glad you like the tailgate. I'm going to paint it as it is laid out and make the final decision then to keep or "revise to suit" when I see it more complete. As I said above, that fine line is one I tend to cross sometimes and I have to fight off the urge to hang the fuzzy dice and install the curb feelers....lol

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am

Whats wrong with fuzzy dice and curb feelers? I do draw the line at the dingle balls across the back window, just not my style. :lol:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am

lbesq wrote:Whats wrong with fuzzy dice and curb feelers? I do draw the line at the dingle balls across the back window, just not my style. :lol:

haha

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

I made a quick decision to do a license plate recess. Originally, I thought I would not like it but, there has to be a place to put the tag...so. I'm glad that Georgia does not require a front tag..ugh
Tag light will be concealed for sure.
I don't know how many states allow you to use an old tag as your registered plate, but here we can, by registering it on your account and then keeping the up to date tag inside the vehicle.
BED PICS FORUMS (18).JPG

TAG INDENTATION LICENSE PLATE 001.JPG

TAG INDENTATION LICENSE PLATE 008.JPG

TAG INDENTATION LICENSE PLATE 011 (1).JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am

Doing fine work there captainbob! I like the way your truck is progressing. Since you’re in Georgia and I’m in Florida, I’d be honored to park beside you one day at a show! Imagine a show with two IHs in it!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am

WEW51L110 wrote:Doing fine work there captainbob! I like the way your truck is progressing. Since you’re in Georgia and I’m in Florida, I’d be honored to park beside you one day at a show!

Many thanks! I want to show the truck but I might be an early leave'r. Too hot, too long, and bored to death after looking at everyone else's cars. Maybe I'll mellow out as I get older...but at 73 now, all I want to do is build build build...lol I'm having an awesome time with this truck.
Talking to my son the other day who is 44 and restoring a 53 Chevy Belair, I said I would like to bring just one trophy home and then enjoy driving my truck all over the place...his reply was...I just want to be able to get home! He's a teacher and has worked on his project now for over 10 years while raising 2 beautiful daughters and 1 father. :lol:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am

I would agree that building is the more rewarding part, but in retirement we get our fun wherever we can find it. Since my truck is likely the only one I’m going to do for a variety of reasons, I’m now getting my fun by showing it. I got my truck in 1974 and tinkered with it off and on the first five years. Then it went essentially into hibernation. Always seemed like it had a lower priority to family, work, etc. just like your son.
At any rate, you’re doing a fine job, and when you get it “finished”, bring it and your sons Belair to the biggest car show in the south - Turkey Rod Run. That’ll give you plenty of cars/trucks to look at for a couple days.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB