fixed windshield

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am

fixed windshield

Has anyone gotten away from the windshield that opens and went to one that's permanently closed. How /what did you have to do to do it?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: fixed windshield

I don't really see a problem doing that. I have seen them do that to other hot rods. One of the major issues is the hinges openings @ the top & the two crank out openings @ the bottom. Not a problem to make or have made filler plates , but need welded in. Another issue is the lip that is around the inside of the windshield, That will have to be ground down. My window frame is in bad shape, I might go this way. Check with your glass shop to see about the grounding of the lip. Hope this helps & just my opinion.

Lefty 1948

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 am

I didn't get the model of your truck, I was referring to a 48 KB-1. I don't know if all IHC windshields are the same.

Lefty 1948

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I wonder if you could use a gasket profile similar to the rear window? Restoration Specialties sell a lot of different window gasket profiles. I am thinking you could buy it by the foot. You would have to come up with a method to seal the middle where the two pieces of glass come together. Chevy trucks from the early 1950s mount the windshield glass similar to this so you could copy the concept.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:55 am

Yea I have the same problem, if you find a good method to seal the screen,I'd be interested to see it, mine is a kb 3, running a a 214 hp 4 on the floor crashbox, but iv put a kb 5 cab on it, well nearly on, but looking good, takes a while to do. Brakes a hassle though.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 am

Well my screen surround was pretty well rusted out real bad, but after about 6_7 weeks iv made a copy of the frame, and made a new one and it works dam good, winds out great, just gotta get new glass cut and sweet, but it was a bit bit of a headache making it, but looks original.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 am

Once you’ve succeded at something - you know how this works - PHOTOS,PHOTOS,PHOTOS....... share some photos!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:02 am

I wish I could post photos, but I can't post them on this gadget I've got, it's called a notebook, there on Facebook though,

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Do you have a photo gallery on your Notebook? If so, you should be able to attach them to your posts. I do not care if you post a link to your Facebook page if you want also. That is up to you.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Badbill wrote:I wish I could post photos, but I can't post them on this gadget I've got, it's called a notebook, there on Facebook though,

I found one small leak in my windscreen that the exterior windshield gasket would not seal so I put a bit of seam sealer on that area of windshield frame. Works excellent.
No pics,,not since photo bucket went screwy and of course cant upload from iCloud.

Return to The Modified K-KB