Which Chassis

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am

Which Chassis

:m03104: Looking for a chassis swap, I have a 1948 KB-1 pickup. Seems like the S10 is a good choice. The 82-93 can happen but hard to find with a 4.3 motor. Don't know a lot about the next generation of S10s (1994-2005 I think). I know that I will have to shorten the frame. Any ideas out there ? Looking for info. Ideally a nice running with a 4.3 auto tranny power steering.

Lefty1948

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

Re: Which Chassis

Guys here swear by Dodge Dakota. I think they're RARE compared to everything else. I have a problem with Dakota because the V-6 versions will eat a new catalyst before lunch.
I have used 2000 Nissan Frontier and 1995 Tacoma under D-2.
Yes, the 4.3l GM is a marvelous motor. S-10 should work. Wheelbase is the thing!
Last edited by Monsonmotors on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

If you've never done a frame swap before you need to be aware of these "areas of concern" :).
1) S-10 and other donor frames DIP in the middle where the K was mostly flat. This means that you are dropping the sheetmetal down whether you intend to or not, even without "lowering it".
2) This "body drop" means that the RADIATOR support no longer has the right dimensions. It's now waay too tall. You'll need to section it and shorten it so the hood and grille line up with the cab. Easily done after rechecking measurements.
3) The donor cowl is something like a foot or more wider than K cowl. Sure makes for interesting squeezing of clutch/brake/ gas pedal/steering/ HVAC under K dash. You'll find there is only ONE place to put these things. Cut firewall carefully!
4) Donor engine/trans are WAAY too far forward on donor frame. I routinely cut motor/trans mounts and push back 5-10". This means that driveshaft will need to be cut. Another easy job.
5) Centering front tires in front fenders is a chore. You can't correctly locate CAB until you know where front fenders will go. My experience is that every frame swap is something of a compromise between what you want and what you can do.
6) Good luck! EVERYBODY wants more power until they have to pay fuel bills. My conversions get 22+MPG.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:45 am

Here is a KB sitting on S10 frame. The cab fits great, but look at rear frame rails. You have to raise floor of box a foot. Seen many done and it just looks wrong. The original frame fits best. Only KB frame swap I have seen that looks right is CaptainBob using a Dakota frame JMHO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22832895@ ... 714792392/

Return to The Modified K-KB