gap in fit of leaf spring on front hanger

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am

gap in fit of leaf spring on front hanger

I ordered new leaf springs for my 41 KB3 and had them made at general springs. I ordered the stock width and mounted them last week. The springs were mounted on a new 8.8 ford explorer rear end and installed using the old stock hangers and shackles with new mounting plates and U bolts to fit the explorer axle.

However, after mounting the leaf springs, I noted there was about a 1.5 cm gap on either side of the leaf spring eye relative to the shackle. The rear hangers are "flush".

I would assume that such a gap on the front shackles between the eye and the shackle would certainly not be appropriate. What am I missing here? The leaf spring came with metal bushings and the bolts fit nicely, but I would assume the gap is not safe and needs to be addressed.

I am somewhat of a car idiot, so any help is greatly appreciated. I like working on things myself to learn about the car, and will have all parts checked by a real mechanic before I would think of putting it on the road.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Re: gap in fit of leaf spring on front hanger

I do not think there is a safety problem in the short run, but............... The spring could move left and right in the shackle and this may cause unwanted wear at another attaching point. Call the spring shop and ask for something to fill the gaps. the original HARRIS rubber bushings went beyond the sides of the spring and likely filed this gap.
It this wee my truck, I would likely cut some tire side-wall for bushing to fill the gap.
the HARRIS bushings were often too soft and did not stand up to the test of time and hard work. I have had 14 of these trucks and maybe only two or three original Harris bushings looked good enough for continuing service.
Attachments
HARRIS BUSHING 2.jpg
Harris rubber bushings
HARRIS BUSHING 1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks very much for the information!!!

I thought it was very strange that there would be such a gap when the width of the leaf springs is exactly the width of the original leaf springs.

It is fantastic to have a resource such as yourself who has seen it all with internationals. This is my first swing at an International, so everything is new to me.

Again- thanks!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 05, 2021 6:24 pm

Your leaf springs do not have rubber bushings, they have brass bushings, if you have a side gap you can fill that with a washer of the proper thickness to fill the gap, that will keep the spring from walking side to side. The front hanger wight be a little worn.
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Bill how are you doing? Been awhile.
kevin

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 06, 2021 5:59 pm

The OP says, "I noted there was about a 1.5 cm gap on either side of the leaf spring eye relative to the shackle." This is a gap of over 1/2". That will need a stack of washers or something custom made to fill that gap. I am staying with the rubber spacer.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to The Modified K-KB