coyote in, for now

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 am

coyote in, for now

well, after some ups and downs with headers, oil cooler, etc with the coyote, I finally got the motor mounts and transmission cross member in. since these photos, I have now taken it out again to finish welding.
Attachments
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 am

Re: coyote in, for now

Very cool. Is that a 6 speed behind it too?

What are using for an ecm? The Ford racing one?
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 am

yes it is a tremec 6 speed. I bought the ford racing ecm, pedal, etc at the same time as the engine.

I originally had long tube headers, however in my exuberance neglected to account for the narrow frame and thus had interference. I then got shorty headers, and the right side still hit the frame, so I went back with the stock header on the right side, and the shorty on the left. The engine did not come with a left side header, as they tell me the stock one has an integral catalytic converter claiming everyone throws it out so they quit putting it on. headers options are still on the table with nothing definitive for now.

if you notice the frame cross member right behind the transmission will interfere with the future drive shaft, so it will come out and new cross member put in. I want to be sure the frame is stout. I do have a tubular cross brace member from a long ago abandon project I am toying with modifying to put in.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

restoKB1 wrote:if you notice the frame cross member right behind the transmission will interfere with the future drive shaft, so it will come out and new cross member put in. I want to be sure the frame is stout. I do have a tubular cross brace member from a long ago abandon project I am toying with modifying to put in.

I removed the rivets and moved the transmission cross member back for my 302/AOD. I added some box tubing for strength.

I did remove the cross member behind the AOD. It interfered with the gas tank.

Keep up the posts. This is a great project and I'm very excited to see it running. Back to the 50s is in June. Hope to see you there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 am

I have boxed the frame front and rear. only portion left to do is under the cab area. I will likely cut the cross member out with my plasma cutter. that seems easier then removing those rivets. I had an aluminum gas tank made that will sit at the rear where the spare tire carrier was. The filler will come up through the bed floor. Sold the carrier to a member on the site.

took the motor mounts, trans mount, and bumper brackets to get powder coated the other day. will likely take in the rear end housing and four link bars when those are done.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:19 am

Quickest way I've found to deal with rivets is to cut an X in the head with a cut off wheel then smash them off with an air hammer (a good one). I've plasma'd them too but the X/hammer route seems to be quicker.
-Joe
'54 R112

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Congratulations! I've been running a Coyote in my 49 KB for about 4 years. There were several learning issues and I haven't gotten the A/C hooked up inside the truck yet, but it is a blast to drive. These trucks are very light with this combination. I'm making around 390 wheel horsepower in a 2900 truck. Great gas mileage and reliability, plus you can rev it to the moon. I'll never actually know how fast this truck is. Aerodynamics are an issue. LOL

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a56 ... f9545f.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 am

that is a nice truck you have, looks like a real sleeper. where in Texas are you?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 am

I've definitely had a lot of fun cruising this truck and it is much faster than the tires and suspension are really ready for.
I'm in the Fort Worth area.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:11 am

cool. I am in Parker. what did you use for headers? I have not found yet a good solution.

rear suspension I have installed a four link with coil overs. The front as might can tell from the photos is MII style and will have coil overs.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB