coyote in, for now

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 am

Re: coyote in, for now

I have a Mustang II set up and four link with coil overs in the rear on an explorer 8.8 axle. For headers, I used the stock mustang units that came with my crate engine. They are the same as the 2011 through 13 mustang. I did have to notch the frame on the passenger side to clear though. I'm using bbk cat deletes and a stock 2013 mustang H pipe. Custom bent exhaust behind that and turned down before the axle. I kept everything high so it would be nearly invisible from outside of the truck. The 40 series flowmaster mufflers are a little loud on the highway. The Coyote moves a lot of air.
I was lucky enough to be building a 2013 mustang at the same time as this truck, so I took several pieces from one to the other. This truck is why I couldn't buy a Shelby though. Lol.
On a sidenote, I don't know which accessories you chose to run. I started with the vintage air front runner series, but the air compressor would not clear the frame the way that we mounted the engine. I had to change to the Turnkey Road Runner set up. If you know anybody who wants a vintage air front runner set up, I still have one sitting in my garage that I will cut a good deal on.

I also boxed the front and rear frame segments the same way that you did. In my opinion, the truck would greatly benefit from having the frame boxed full length and adding a couple of crossmembers. Space is limited and I wanted my truck to ride well which is why I did not box the whole thing. I believe that I will be re-addressing that at some point.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:29 am

thanks for the input. my coyote is a 2015 and evidently they made some updates and parts from the older version do not fit, at least according to ford racing. mine came with only the right side header and not the left side. When asked why, ford racing told me the left side comes with an integral cat and everyone was taking it off and throwing it out so they quit shipping with it. I really did not want to get into notching the frame. I am boxing the frame full length. I have the section under the cab yet to do. plan to get on that shortly now the cab has been removed. I will add cross member or two to help strengthen the frame.

I noticed you have the stock inner fenders in place. did you have to modify them to fit? that is something that I was anticipating to have to do. I also anticipate having to modify the firewall to clear the transmission. I will then build the floor sections to replace the stock units

I had long discussions with March on their front runner system. Their catalogue states they will custom build for any application. I am running electric power steering, so needed a set up without a power steering unit. After many back and forth emails and phone calls, they suddenly went silent. At Goodguys at TMS last weekend I talked to the March vendor there (which I initiated the discussion with them from the same event last year), and now they tell me they cannot do what I wanted. I reminded them of what their catalogue says, and their response was they can't do that. I told them they lied to me and they should take that claim out of their catalogue. I have disposed of all my March catalogues. I will likely just go with the stock set up like on my 2015 GT, which is basically the same motor, and can the parts from a ford parts supplier. I am still on the fence with that though.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 am

I understand the situation with March. So, basically, the 2015 Coyote has the Boss cylinder heads with a better valvetrain. The timing stuff isn't as good as the earlier stuff, but it makes about 15 hp more than the earlier engine. The intake manifold on the production cars for 15 and 17 is much better than the earlier cars, but the computer is different to account for this. I don't believe that there would be any issue with you using exhaust from a 2011-2014 mustang and factory takeoffs are abundant. To be honest, I've scrapped at least three sets from cars that I put long tube headers on. If you choose to go that route and don't have to notch your frame, I can sell you a set of catalytic converters that I took off of a car with 700 miles on it. Unless you just really don't want to smell fuel vapor on startup, there really isn't much benefit to them. I'm assuming that you'll get your truck dyno tuned after it is running, so you'll be running a much better tune than 95% of the cars out there. The factory tune on the Ford Racing setup was pretty darn rich out of the box.
The only modifications to the body that were needed for my build was the firewall, a small bellhousing relief on the toe board, and I did cut reliefs in the inner fenders to clear the upper control arms. My KB is maybe 3 inches lower than the factory height, but it sits up pretty well and I'm nowhere near scraping anything.
One unexpected thing that I encountered was the alternator. I had a Boss alternator setup, but it does not fit between the frame and the block I ended up running a super mini alternator from East Coast Auto Electric. They are super helpful and informative. Unfortunately, the highest amperage that I could fit is 80 amp. I have the fuel pump, headlights, two fans, transmission computer, and engine computer to keep electricity to. It keep up great going down the road, but summer night time traffic at shows draws the battery down. I really want to get the factory 130 amp alternator in there so I can run the A/C on top of everything else once I install the under dash equipment. I can't run an overdrive pulley for lack of space. If you're going to run electric power steering, this is something that you want to really consider.
I also had to use the smallest brake booster. It works, but it's like having manual brakes. I'm going to switch to hydro-boost down the road. My power steering pump is bored with this light truck, so I need to give it more to do.
Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have. I'm not good at the photo sharing website, but I can get you any specific pictures that may be helpful as well. I'm running the 4R70W with a Performance Automatic controller. It has a lot of adjustments and can be made to drive like a factory car, or hit gears like the meanest drag cars out there. I'm also using a Lokar throttle pedal purely for looks. It is VERY responsive. In fact, since I have the original seat, it is too responsive. Bumpy roads make the driver move up and down which somehow moves the throttle up and down. Go figure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 am

I got the cross member out yesterday. Used my air cut off tool to take the heads of the rivets off, and then used my air chisel with punch attachment to knock out the rivets. It took all of 30 minutes to do all eight rivets. This is how I have removed the other rivets I have need to remove. not sure why I was having anxiety about getting them out. I then welded up the holes.

Ford Racing tells me the headers from earlier coyotes will now work. I ordered a set of cast manifolds yesterday from Ford Racing specific for 2015 coyote motors. so now I have a set of BBK long tubes and set of Patriot block huggers to get rid of. Who said it was going to be easy?

I have a 130 amp ford racing alternator. I did not occur to me it might have issues with fitting. I will find out a bit down the road. I am not at that point yet.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 am

restoKB1 wrote:Who said it was going to be easy?

My son tore apart his daily driver over the weekend to do an "easy" update. He is taking his mom's car today to get to work.

He told me he spent 2 hours making a bracket that didn't work, wreaked a relay, scratched the paint, ..

I must have hid all the mistakes I did on the K1.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:08 am

Back when I did this stuff for money, the learning curve got pretty expensive. There were a lot of jobs that took twice or even three times as long as I thought they would. Of course, that never happens these days...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 pm

fortunately I do this for fun. I quit trying to figure out how long something would take as I was always quite a bit wrong. Now I just get into it and sometimes get surprised by how quickly I really do get it done.

I had a 95 Mustang GT once that I heavily modified over time. One of the earlier mods I bought a high flow H pipe with cats and headers. They sat on my dining room floor for several months. Then one Sunday at about three in the afternoon I decided to put them on. Put the car up on jack stands so I could crawl underneath. started the demo (taking off parts). I banged my head a couple times, cut my hands, got other marks and scrapes along the way. A few hours after I got into it, it suddenly dawned on me that I had really messed up. At this point I had to finish as I needed the car to go to work Monday Morning. I finally got it all done at about 3 in the morning, twelve hours later. That was not one of my brighter moves.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm

How's your truck coming? Goodguys is here this weekend and reminded me of the only other Coyote Binder that I know about.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 am

I went to Goodguys, had my 65 mustang there. it was a good time and lots of cool cars and trucks. my truck is progressing. making fair progress. I have the frame painted, front and rear suspension in, engine and transmission in, exhaust system in. will put the cab on this weekend. I had to talk two of my sons into coming over to help lift it onto the frame. I have the body mounts rebuilt and bolted on.

I need to get it as a roller by the end of the month as I am moving and have to be in a position to load it onto a trailer.
Attachments
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 am