oil pressure trouble

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Jeb

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

oil pressure trouble

Hello, My name is Jeb and I had my 1947 greendimond overhauled and have it back in my truck. now we have it all hooked up and when we started it the oil pressure goes over 100lbs, blowes out the gasket on the oil filter. any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeb

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: oil pressure trouble

1st don't run it until you get it sorted out!
Most likely it is a stuck, or improperly assembled oil relief valve. I don't have a GRD and the manual doesn't show a good shot of where it is in the system, so you are going to have to wait until someone with GRD experience can help.
On all IHC designed engines (or which the GRD is not) the relief is located in the oil filter adaptor. The GRD is likely in the block somewhere as it doesn't use an oil filter adaptor. Look for a large plug, somewhere near an oil rifle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am

All the GRD experts on here, can't one of you point this guy to the oil relief valve?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:All the GRD experts on here, can't one of you point this guy to the oil relief valve?

this thread, first picture, the oil pressure relief valve is behind the large plug nut that is painted black behind the dipstick tube, there is a spring and a plunger plug in there, something isn't in right or jammed/gummed up,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7436
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Would be interested to know if he got it figured out.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm

It seems the OP hasn't checked back, but I figured I'd share my experience anyway. My GRD did the exact same thing after I rebuilt it. Fired it up and it wrapped the temporarily installed mechanical oil pressure gauge right around past 100 psi. I had another bare GRD block sitting in the garage at the time, so I looked it over and figured out how the oil pressure relief system worked. Well, when I did my rebuild, I put a pipe plug in the port that drains the oil from the relief valve back to the pan. Oops. I dropped the pan, removed the plug and replaced it with a pipe nipple. Problem solved.
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Jeb

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Southtowm27. Hi the gauges were all mechanical, We took the relief valve completely out and still had 100lbs. now we took the return line from the oil filter blocked off where it went into the block and then plumbed it into the oil fill tube, when the motor is running you can see it dumping into the tube and it is not 100lbs. but on the other side of the motor where we installed the mechanical gauge it 100! We are going to drop the pan and check to see if we had a plug in the oil port drain.the thing sound and runs great but need to figure this oil thing out. Thanks, Jeb keep your fingers crossed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 05, 2017 8:24 am

If you took the relief valve out, and you still have 100 psi, then you have found your problem. it is in the relief circuit. Sound much like the previous post, a pipe plug placed in the relief drain. Time to pull the pan and look!
The oil filter return will never have much flow, it is a bypass system and as such has to have a restrictor in the filter or you wouldn't have any oil pressure, it would dump it all. Forget the filter, leave it hooked up as it was, it does the same thing as plumbing it to the oil fill tube, both dump to the oil pan.

Jeb

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri May 12, 2017 7:06 am

Southtown! Thank you!! we pulled the pan and there it was, plug where the oil returns to the pan right below where the oil relief valve is. Oil pressure is at 42lbs. Thank you all for your input. I will keep on the site incase something els comes up. Jeb

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Please stay with us, We like hearing about other peoples trucks, and you never know, you just might have the answer for someone else.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB