What modern 4x4 Chassis works est for KB series panel trucks

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:57 pm

What modern 4x4 Chassis works est for KB series panel trucks

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. I just acquired a 1948 KB1 Panel Truck, my first IH and vehicle from this time. The Panel truck has already had a Blazer S10 front (sub)frame grafted ( bolted ) to the original frame and the original rear axle was replaced with the same donor vehicles axle, donor was a 4x4. KB was bought minus it's 4.6L and drivetrain. Since it's no longer an original frame, and because my plans for the Panel are to drive it long distances, possibly in sand or snow, a modern drivetrain and suspension/brakes with on demand 4x4 are what my goals are. Your thoughts on, a) working with what is there, welding and boxing in welding the grafted on S10 front end, or,b) replacing the entire chassis from a donor vehicle with a drivetrain. If so, what vehicles work best? The Ford Explorer comes very close in wheelbase, and they are plentiful, coupled with a 302cid, would make for a good cruiser. Am aware of the rear shock tower issue for clearance of the cargo floor, do not want to alter that, solutions for that with a donor chassis??

Again, thank you for reading this and for constructive info!

Dave

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: What modern 4x4 Chassis works est for KB series panel tr

Well...
"Works best"?
The Dodge Dakota guys sure like using Dodge Dakotas for K Series frame swaps..just ask them! Maybe a 4wd Dakota?
I've seen K series on 1980s/1990s Chevy/GMC frames that looked good...maybe a Chevy/ GMC 4wd frame swap?
Lots of people appreciate Toyota pickups. I sure do. I'm currently putting Toyota 4wd axles under my K Series pickup. You can see the build here under smog_guy. That's my alter ego.
Watch wheelbases and widths! Old pickup trucks are SMALL. Narrow and short. Get your tape measure out.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:Well...
"Works best"?
The Dodge Dakota guys sure like using Dodge Dakotas for K Series frame swaps..just ask them! Maybe a 4wd Dakota?
I've seen K series on 1980s/1990s Chevy/GMC frames that looked good...maybe a Chevy/ GMC 4wd frame swap?
Lots of people appreciate Toyota pickups. I sure do. I'm currently putting Toyota 4wd axles under my K Series pickup. You can see the build here under smog_guy. That's my alter ego.
Watch wheelbases and widths! Old pickup trucks are SMALL. Narrow and short. Get your tape measure out.

Thanks Monsonmotors, wheelbase and track definitely, was also curious about body mount points, any chassis better suited in that regard?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Nope, you'll be moving/fabricating new cab mounts. Using the new donor cab mount "system" sure makes for a cushiony cab. It can be as easy as cutting the cab mount bracket off at one spot and just sliding it where you need it. Just depends.
BTW this cab mount bracket work is among the EASIEST things to do once you've determined WHERE the cab mounts (one of the hardest things to do).
It takes me about three to five months of work (after work and on weekends) to get a running, driving, reliable vehicle from two donors. Mostly a lot of fun. Some headaches.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I am the person who thinks. Take the solid axles out and put solid 4X4 axles back in. There are a few simple fabrication details mostly with spring mounts on the axles. If a person is a little short of cash for transfer case, the build can be driven as a 2 wheel drive while enjoying the advantages of disc brakes and parts availability. I think an old IHC looks respectable as a 4X4. This gets your truck out of the shop and down the road while the fearful hide behind "keep in all original".
My son's L110 Shorty with Cummins 4bta and 4X4 is an example of my ideas. We have purchased wider Dana axles for his L110. The Jeep Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 axles will be available for a reasonable price. These axles should be perfect for a narrower K pickup.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:06 am

Thanks Monson and Nikinut, that's where I am at, per my posting, it has already been set up with new axles, but the front was grafted on with bolts as a sub frame, will have to wait until it's here at home and I can get into it more in depth regards what is best, boxing in and welding the two frames together, or finding a donor and swapping the complete chassis. I'll see about posting some pic's.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 am

1948KB1cropped.jpg
1948KB1c.jpg
KBsubframe.jpg

You can see, how the front of the Blazer/S10 chassis was grafted to the original frame just to the right of the fuel filter.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:47 am

It's an Arizona truck, but there is a rust through hole in the RH cargo door as you can see, from what I understand, that is a weakness of Panel trucks of that era.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:14 am

Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 am

dean466 wrote:For your consideration-

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2195

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6909

Dean

Thank you Dean, one of my questions is in regards to the modern chassis' shape towards the rear, pickups have the advantage of having the cargo area/bed separate from the cab, the panel doesn't, don't want to raise the cargo floor, so wondering what, if someone else has done to have the modern frame, also don't want to set the whole body up on rails to gain the needed clearance at the rear, suggestions anyone?
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB