What modern 4x4 Chassis works est for KB series panel trucks

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:57 am

Re: What modern 4x4 Chassis works est for KB series panel tr

You shouldn't have to significantly alter the floor on a 4wd! You're going UP, not down. Raise the body just a bit on the frame. It's done all the time. "Body lift".

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:You shouldn't have to significantly alter the floor on a 4wd! You're going UP, not down. Raise the body just a bit on the frame. It's done all the time. "Body lift".

Thank you Monson, this is my first Panel truck, vehicle from this era, and 4x4 conversion, I appreciate the experience of others. I had seen a pickup done on a 4x4 Explorer chassis, and the owner had to raise the pickup bed to accomadate the rear shock towers on the Explorer, and thought that was an issue with an 4x4 modern chassis. How much body lift would you guesstimate just so I have a rough idea?

Thank you!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:28 pm

It all depends.
Are you aiming for an obviously non-stock look or are you aiming for a "coulda been made that way" look?
I prefer the "coulda been made that way" look. It just means that the observer might have to take a second or third look to prove to himself it wasn't factory-made. Exhilirating when done right.
Body lift kits are sold everywhere on the web. They are in various inch lifts. The ones I have seen personally are very durable solid plastic cylinders made for a longer through bolt.
Just count on having to modify things to fit. You might have to relocate shock mounts, etc,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:It all depends.
Are you aiming for an obviously non-stock look or are you aiming for a "coulda been made that way" look?
I prefer the "coulda been made that way" look. It just means that the observer might have to take a second or third look to prove to himself it wasn't factory-made. Exhilirating when done right.
Body lift kits are sold everywhere on the web. They are in various inch lifts. The ones I have seen personally are very durable solid plastic cylinders made for a longer through bolt.
Just count on having to modify things to fit. You might have to relocate shock mounts, etc,

We think alike, I prefer the "coulda been made that way" look to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:43 pm

I try to make my IHC conversions look like something IHC might have done. The original engineering is nothing more than the basics and this makes simple changes rather easy. Removing one solid axle and replacing it with another solid axle is well within the original design engineering and liability.
Without going into lots of details, I am going to post a few pictures of what has come out of my shop and one "L" series that came out of my friend's shop. If you decide to go this route I can give more of the details, there are a few and they are mostly simple enough for a first timer with some basic welding skills and a proper MILLER welder, MADE IN USA.
I may have said this before and it is well worth saying again. The axle conversion can be done and run in two wheel drive until a person finds and installs a divorced New Process transfer case behind the original engine and transmission.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+proc ... 4Twq5sM%3A

https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+proc ... hvsUH3M%3A

Attachments
24 VALVE CUMMINS POWERED ROADSTER PICKUP.jpg
from a friend's shop Cummins 4X4
R120 6.9 with the filter.jpg
6.9 Diesel V8 in an R120
R120 and me.jpg
IN GOOD COMPANY (2).jpg
MMORE OF THE SAME
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
mY r120 4x4 dIESEL
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:43 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I try to make my IHC conversions look like something IHC might have done. The original engineering is nothing more than the basics and this makes simple changes rather easy. Removing one solid axle and replacing it with another solid axle is well within the original design engineering and liability.
Without going into lots of details, I am going to post a few pictures of what has come out of my shop and one "L" series that came out of my friend's shop. If you decide to go this route I can give more of the details, there are a few and they are mostly simple enough for a first timer with some basic welding skills and a proper MILLER welder, MADE IN USA.
I may have said this before and it is well worth saying again. The axle conversion can be done and run in two wheel drive until a person finds and installs a divorced New Process transfer case behind the original engine and transmission.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+proc ... 4Twq5sM%3A

Thanks nikinutshop!
My KB has yet to ship, so I have the photos first taken, but I didn't do a comprehensive photo study to post here. Like previously stated, it's been previously altered with a Blazer 4x4 front end, and the original rear axle swapped for the Blazer's, so when I get a chance to comb every inch of it once it's home, and take a few more pics, I am open to either route, completing it as is ( a good friend has a MILLER made in USA welder, that he going to let me use, and mentor me with ) or a complete chassis swap. I would very much like to learn more about what you have done, and your friend as well, especially as it might pertain to a Panel Truck.

Merry Christmas!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Oh you bought that Panel! I was looking at it on Hemmings yesterday, the ad is still up,

that's a nice panel, rear door rot is common, yours is nothing compared to how bad mine are,

the main thing with frame swap is mounting front of cab, & front clip, which isn't THAT difficult,

the panel from doors back is mounted to frame with some simple L brackets bolted to side of frame and carriage bolts going down thru the floor, (it's a little unnerving how little actually holds that body on the frame),

Very easy to fabricate those brackets to any frame as long as not to wide,

the panel truck uses the same frame as the pickup, the panel body is set down lower than a pickup, with frame humps over rear axle come up thru floor, there are some steel plates over them, I just redid my floor,

you can see in picture, if you get a frame without huge shock towers you may be able to do this with maybe a little higher bumps in the floor without entire floor being raised,

As I said above, the panel and pickup used the same frame, so if you want to go with an original frame and fab axles to it, like Nikki said, you can find a frame fairly easy, MIGHT be better to start with something unmolested than trying to fix whatever is possibly done wrong with the frame now, I've bought a few in progress hotrods which had frames so badly chopped up with bad welds/geometry it was better to scrap it than to try to fix it,
Attachments
20160801_121431.jpg
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm pretty sure I have a K Series pickup frame if you wish to start from scratch.
From you photos I see the cobbed-on clip.
There is lots to learn here. Your personal choice will decide.
I've learned a lot from the local Toyota 4wd guys. Toyota people are extremely loyal to Toyota with good reason. Toyota is TOUGH.
The local rock crawlers prefer the Toyota straight axles, no IFS. This is an older system, late 1980 and back. This system can be adapted to a stock K series frame. I should know, I'm doing one on a K series pickup using the infernal Toy 3.0l v-6 (real Toy guys prefer 20-22re and Tacoma "Taco" 4 cyl engines).
Sometimes in swapping you are stuck using what you HAVE. It's a money/time thing.
To me, the real allure of a frame swap is that you update 99% of your truck mechanically and electrically in one fell swoop. Following that idea means transferring as much as you can from the newer donor to your old K series. It only follows reason...
The "frame clip" "frame swap" "Mustang II IFS" thing has evolved over time. It's ALL SO VERY snobby, now.
If you don't believe a 2wd Camaro front clip to be a great choice anymore, for example, then ANY vehicle with that "older" clip will repel you.
My point is that if the present clip was installed with some integrity and perhaps just needs some boxing or gusseting to shore it up then go with it! No need to follow in this modern-day "frame snobbery".
Some guys will try to convince you that you need a purpose-built frame from someone that builds these expensive frames.
It's idiotic to spend the cost of a small house on an old pickup, in my opinion. WHY?
My advice is to use common sense and try to go with what you have unless it's been proven to be unsafe and undriveable.
Merry Christmas!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Just in case you go with a later frame...here is what I do.
It's been stated before that old IHC frames were wider than a Chevy, Ford, Dodge of the same vintage.
Somewhere after WWII the frame widths were standardized so that the aftermarket commercial body makers could provide more options to commercial truck buyers. Makes sense, right?
Unless you are following someone else's lead on the frame swap (where's the FUN in FOLLOWING?) then you need to start measuring your frames, stock and proposed donor. Not everything will fit, at least not fit for a "stock" look.
A K series panel truck is SKINNY. Don't forget that! It's one of the things that makes them CUTE. I owned an IHC D-2 Panel truck, so I know. My point is that your frame donor can't poke outside that cute sheetmetal. However, that extensive K series "fat-fendered" front sheetmetal can cover up (if you wish) P/S, P/B, IFS, A/C, R&P, etc. It's wonderful!
My other warning is that on a frame swap you must endeavor to center front tires inside front fenders FIRST (side view). Even though IHC DID NOT. :) it just looks better. In the end you will probably have to compromise a little...
I've also noticed that if you can slide the donor engine back on the donor frame ( about 2" to 12", depends) THINGS begin to fit much better up front.
Modifying the stock K Series radiator support (you section or cut height out of it..) isn't hard. Notice though that the K series radiator support is held up by a strong metal "diving board" bracket with bolt slots in it. THAT has to be duplicated on the donor frame.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks Bedrockjon and Monsonmotors! That is all very helpful, will have to wait til she is home to fully evaluate the current frame set up, was just curious to hear the pros and cons from those who have the experience you do.

Merry Christmas!
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB