47 KB2 build

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:37 pm

47 KB2 build

Alright I figure it's time to start a build thread.
47 KB2 all original down the the hand operated windshield wipers.
The plans originally included an sbc 350, but I've since decided on something a bit higher and more modern.....a vortec 8100.
Here are the before pics. I'll either start tearing it apart in the next few days, or I may wait till spring when it's warm and not muddy or frozen outside.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: 47 KB2 build

Does anyone know what this bracket is? I've never seen anything like it on the other kb pics I've seen.

Bonus pics still has 24 year old plates and tags

I half way want to drive it with them just to see if a get pulled over, and if I do see what the cop says about it.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 pm

If you are referring to the bracket on the passenger side front, That would be one of the front bumper brackets.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:38 pm

The front bumper bracket is broken. I had to weld mine up. Broke in the same spot.

My K1 had 78 MN tags. I like the chrome front grill.

If you need parts, I have a few from my 46.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:34 am

Hatchw1 wrote:47 KB2 all original down the the hand operated windshield wipers

Shouldn't the wipers be electric? If they are not, please post photos sometime

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Back in the days when all of the cars sold in Canada and the USA had those huge bumpers with the impact absorbing units supporting the bumpers, I adapted a set of Ford impact absorber bumper mounts to a guy's 1050s pickup bumper and truck frame. It was what he wanted and the finished installation looked better than I thought it might have.
Any good spring shop should be able to make replacement bumper support brackets to match the IHC originals. Welding is not an option if there is any hope of having the bracket function like the OEM. It is the heat from the welding that changes the character of the bracket. Too little heat and the bird-poop fix will break, too much heat and the bracket will likely bend at the repair because the spring tempering was lost.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:23 pm

My father in law and I will be building this together (plus a bit of limited help from my 13 year old brother in law), and we both currently work about 60 hours a week, plus I have a baby on the way so work will be slow, bear with me.

Took a couple more pictures today.

Here is the engine that I will hopefully be getting permission to give away/sell soon. Let me know if you need one.

This is what I had assumed was a crank for windshield wipers, as a few old heels I have worked on had a crank in the exact spot.

A spot light that was added on at some point, we haven't decided if we're going to keep it yet.

I feel a bit less bad about the fact that I'm going to cut the floor up to fit the new trans knowing that I have to replace the floor anyway

Anyone know where I could get a reproduction gauge cluster that will work with a modern engine and trans? And go a bit higher on the speedo....

Finally a cancer pic. I have seen cancer much worse on thrucks half as old, but I won't say anything definitive until I get it ripped apart.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 pm

That crank is to open the windshield. Have fun with the truck.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:38 pm

You can open the windshield?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Careful on trying to open the window with the crank, Not an easy part to find! Suggest you remove crank and lubricate mechanism. carefully move back and forth to loosen up. Others will have better tales on how and probably horror stories also.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB